1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

curveball that doesn't make sense!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 PM
blazatronxprime is on a distinguished road
Default curveball that doesn't make sense!!!

Allow me to apologize ahead of time... I only have mobile access right now, and I've tried searching different key words for it. I have been able to trouble shoot my issue a bit from what I've been able to find from some of the threads here.

To start with I have a 93 s10 blazer, 4.3 W. I've been having issues with no starts, and having to spray ether to crank. I could not accelerate, when i tried by even a 1/4 peddle it would sputter, backfire, and slow down. Also it WILL NOT accelerate past 45mph. I initially thought this was a catalytic converter clog, replaced the cat, still the same issue no acceleration. Checked the distributor cap and button, replaced those. I thought maybe the spider assembly was bad, I performed a fuel pressure test it shows the symptom of not holding the pressure. The next thing I performed was the visual test, I removed the Plenum turned the key and no visible leaks, checked the poppets no leaks there, and the same for the fuel return lines. The fuel pump has an audible whine, I can't really say that it's abnormal as I've had the vehicle about a year or more now, and it's not gotten louder.

Other than replacing the fuel pump, I'm at a loss of what to do. Should I just replace the spider assembly based on the pressure test alone? Any advice on this is greatly appreciated

Old 08-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

What was your fuel pressure when you tested it, KOEO? What was it 10 mins later?

Also, remove the EGR and clean the pintle and its seat, clean the port on the intake and reinstall with a new gasket, preferably a Dorman/HELP! 47007 Clean Screen gasket.

You probably are going to replace the fuel pump - and fuel filter, as the warranty is invalid if you don't - in the very near future.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 AM

It was the same, roughly 45-52 psi, cycled the key about 6 times it retained no pressure. I know the nominal pressure should be 55-62 psi. Could the fuel pressure regulator be bad and just not leaking? Or would there for sure be clean spots in the plenum?

I'm sorry, but what warranty are you referring to?

Last edited by blazatronxprime; 08-27-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM

If you should buy a new fuel pump, the warranty on that is void if you don't replace the fuel filter at the same time.

Yes, the FPR could be bad and not show signs. However, 45-52 psi isn't enough pressure for the spider injector to open the poppets. I'm afraid you need a new fuel pump.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM

OK, that's what I picked up today, and what I'll be working on this weekend I suppose. Lol I'll post results at that time.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What brand pump did you get? please tell me its not anything besides Delphi or Delco?

If it is, like an airtex.. return for a Delphi or Delco unless you want to replace the pump again in no time.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM

Whichever one was $98 I don't have the $240 for the Delphi right now. Gotta do what I can lol yup... just looked airtex fuel pump assembly, am I gonna need a whole new assembly or can I just swap the pumps out?

Last edited by blazatronxprime; 08-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:15 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazatronxprime
Whichever one was $98 I don't have the $240 for the Delphi right now. Gotta do what I can lol yup... just looked airtex fuel pump assembly, am I gonna need a whole new assembly or can I just swap the pumps out?
You should be able to get just the fuel pump itself, without the whole assembly, for about $100, for Delphi brand. Probably less if you ordered it off rock auto.

While it's a good idea and cheap insurance to replace the whole assembly while you've got the tank down, it's not worth it to cheap out on the pump to do so.

I've got an AC Delco pump in mine, and what ever was the cheapest fuel sending unit rock auto had. About 30k miles later, the cheap sending unit is still working great.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM

I think i'm going to try and get the spectra pump, and just swap it out as funds are extremely lacking right now. Like I serious just need to get it back on the road, before Monday if I can. But I'll check the screen and assembly maybe I can just keep the old assembly and just put a new screen and pump in.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Then write down the steps because you'll be doing it again soon.

I replaced the pump in my '93 Bravada 5 years ago with an AC Delco; still running strong today.

Quick Reply: curveball that doesn't make sense!!!