1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Door glass issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Beginning Member
JMorton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Door glass issues

I installed new window run channels after painting my truck, glass guides are all in perfect shape. Installed the glass and going up or down, glass comes out of the channel and it tries to go crooked. What am I doing wrong? Power windows if it makes a difference.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Most likely the plastic guides that snap onto the glass itself are not seating in the channel fully had the same issue at first when I did my '94 (also power windows)

Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

I had to super glue and clamp my guides in place because the clip in the center never clipped.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Beginning Member

The guides are all secured correctly to the glass. How do you seat them into the channel?

Old 04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Beginning Member
DefBlazer is on a distinguished road

Ok, Not that my Insight has helped anyone ever. but if it's anything like mine then first you need a little jesus, then I would loor at theat track that the power window actuator bar arm thing slides back and forth in at the bottom of the window and make sure its well lubricated and clean. well clean then lube. next those platic clips are the stupidest peice of sh.... I mean those little buggers are not always tight enough make sur that the tabs on them are sticking out and not fouled from being forced in and out so many timesand jam that window into the track (it should make a popping sound, but not a shattering glass sound.) Oh, FYI although i see what needs to be done my window is doing the same thing. I need to replace my tracks though any ideas on where to get them for a 92 s10 blazer 2 dr rwd and or the part#?

Last edited by DefBlazer; 04-02-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

getting them clamped onto the glass is the hard part getting them fully into the guide channel is the frustrating part, in my case I found it easiest to do with the regulator/motor unit out of the door then slide glass in at an angle get one side to pop in then the other you should hear and/or feel when it "pops" all the way in.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

All these replys are right. It does suck and its a hassle. I tried 4 times b4 mine stayed. The "wings" on the channel guide need to be expanded or spread open so they go into the guide and stay there. Also, the mention on the power track roller it is a good idea to lube this up. It will break over time or round off the plastic from dry rub soo much from going up and down.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member

Rock Auto has the window channels for about $30 each. The little round ends on the regulators do have flat spots, does that matter much and can they be replaced too?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member

Well, when I tore apart the truck a few months ago, I neglected to save the aluminum channels that fit inside the rubber that the guides snap into. Fortunately, my parts truck still had these. Installed them and everything snapped together as it should. If you buy the replacements from Rock Auto, make sure you save those channels!

Last edited by JMorton; 04-05-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member
DefBlazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JMorton
Rock Auto has the window channels for about $30 each.
Is that the Aluminium Channels that you had forgotten to install?

The little round ends on the regulators do have flat spots, does that matter much and can they be replaced too?
I think I saw these on LMC but I might be mistaken. [edit] Just saw Rock Auto has these too. I'd say that since this pulls and pushes perpendicular to the window motion that you don't wand any undo friction or it may cause your window to twist as you decribed at the very least it adds stress to the clips

I neglected to save the aluminum channels that fit inside the rubber that the guides snap into.
Glad to see you fixed it.

Last edited by DefBlazer; 04-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Door glass issues