1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Double question on spider and VSS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
sirhc76 is on a distinguished road
Default Double question on spider and VSS

Im dropping a 93 4.3 power train into my jeep YJ. I picked up the entire blazer for a really good price and knew the motor needed some TLC. It has been a hunting truck for years and never really been up to speed, only used a few times a year. Since Im already over budget on the build the wife/purse holder, literally is starting to give me that stare when I bring up parts. The motor was blowing white smoke before I pulled it. Compression test was 155-160 on all cylinders and leak down was good which pointed me to the intake gasket. When I pulled that I found this on top

and this below

Since its a project I decided to clean out as much of the sludge as possible vs. rebuild. The pan was pretty clean although most of the oil return holes were close to being plugged.

Question on the intake, does the washing looking like a new spider is in order or is that washing from the FPR on the passenger side? Looks like the nut kit was leaking on the drivers side. Sadly I didn't see the inside running so I don't know where the fuel is coming from at this point. I went ahead and ordered both FPR and nut kit so that I have them on hand. I have read info on the updated spider with injectors on the tips, is this available for the 93 W motor and does anyone have a link? I seem to have found several although none appear to be specific to this year.

Now on the VSS, mine is electrical with 40 ring gear. From reading and my alldata it looks as if the VSS signal is to the DRAC then to ECU/cruise/ anti lock. Is this signal only used for the speedo? Is it used to shift the tranny at all or just for the TCC lockup and is that in all gears/normal driving or just four wheel drive?

I'm going to use a jeep slip yoke eliminator and the housing fits the 231j VSS. It appears the DRAC converts the AC sine into a DC square before that wire goes into the ECU, the Jeep VSS sends out a DC square. I hope I can simply convert that into the correct pulse count and run it straight to the ECU using a dakota digital box. It appears the 93 tranny is a beast of its own compared to the rest of the years so I'm having issues trying to get this straight in my head.

Thanks all

Old 02-06-2012, 12:04 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Wow.. that valley looks like the p.o. must have used that 'quality' keystone oil and changed it when he got around to it. Why you change filter a LOT after you run seafoam or anything else that actually cleans the engine.. like synth.

As to VSS --NOT specific knowledge.. but if the DRAC normally takes in analog sine, then digital pulse shouldnt matter. A pulse shaper circuit only cares about amplitude.

Did you see the writeup on retro-fitting the DRAC with dip switches?

Cant answer the tranny/pcm question but rule of thumb in any system is you have to match the tranny to the PCM you're using.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info. Assuming the oil was seldom changed, coupled that with the lack of driving and never making it over 30-40 MPH in the last 5 years. I cleaned it all out and used the wet dry vac to get the leftovers. Internals dont look bad at all, suprising after seeing that valley sludge. I plan to fire it up with cheap dino oil the first time and do a few changes very quickly after a few run cycles. Ill then go the ATF route for a few followed by synthetic.

Yes I found the info on the DRAC and changing the DRAC output, very helpful. In regard to the tranny it is the 700r4 or 4L60 that came in the 93 blazer. It doesnt have a TV cable and only has the single plug on the passenger side with vacuum lines on the drivers side. The ECM is model 16168625 DRAC is CBI label 16126475 with a 16124365 number listed under the CBI. Alldata shows one brown wire out of the drac into the ECM on F13, which matches my wire harness.

My original plan was to use the entire blazer wiring and autometer gauges, including the two wire VSS on the 231C transfer case. Since I would like to reuse the slip yoke elim. from the jeep I have to use the jeep VSS due to the housing. I just want to verify that the transmission doesn't count on the VSS for shifting.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Beginning Member
blazinNdCHEVy is on a distinguished road

I was also wondering about that updated spider fitting the 93 w, i would think as long as the harness connector and the nozzle fit are the same then it should work, hopefully :-) anybody got a picture of the updated spider connector?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member

well during my attempt to remove the spider last night for cleaning one of the retaining tabs that lock the injector in broke. Looks like I have my answer on that. Slush fund is going to take a hit on this one. I guess I should have attempted to reuse the blazer column shifter instead of buying a lokar

I found a few on amazon with the hose end injectors, they all obviously look different than the standard unit. Using amazons part selector option I get the wont work for your vehicle but I'm sure that isn't all that accurate.