1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Driver's door power lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Beginning Member
greenbean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driver's door power lock

Hey guys
this site is still awesome
I have a 94 4x4 4.3 4 door auto--good truck
The driver's door accesories have not worked properly since I purchased the truck
I repaired the window motor first and it works well
I have been saving money and finally had enough to buy a new driver's door actuator
After removing the old actuator I checked the connection with a test light and the remote
When unlocking the truck with the remote the test light blinked
That told me the plug was receiving power
Well after installing the new actuator, it does not work
I checked my work over and still no luck
Also the lock/unlock switch does not work so I removed it to check and see if any of the three terminals where receiving power---nothing according to the test light
I cleaned the switch up and it is ready for install
The power mirror does not work on the drivers side but works well on the passenger side
GM wants way too much for a new mirror..
The drivers power seat works well and the owners manual really does not say much
Fuses checked out too
Any suggestions???
thank you for your info

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

first of all, this is the "New Member Area" not the 1st Gen Tech Section, which is where your question should be put.

but it sounds lik you should be checking out the wiring between the cab & the door. it's probabaly been damaged (or fixed previously), and is causing a short.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member

thank you

Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

no problem. hope i helped point you in the right direction.

did you happen to look at it any further?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Beginning Member

tomorrow morning will be the first chance I get to work on the truck again
Hope the problem does not turn out to be a electical gremlin
thank you for your advice
greenbean

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member
Default driver's door lock

Looked at it further---still no luck I took some of the under dash panels off to find the relay What I thought was the relay is not as I unplugged it and the other doors still worked with the remote
I can here the relay click when you hit the remote I just have not found it yet Purchased a book on electrical repair and checked the local library out for a mitchell repair guide but no luck yet The had chilton manuals but nothing for the truck
Anyone have a electrical diagram for the cab and driver's door?
Any suggestion???
Regards
Greenbean

Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
johnny reb is on a distinguished road

yo bean had same problum in my 88 replaced the window switch then just some things worked check each wire on door master switch looked at it for 2 days looked good 2 days later checked wires agine found it now all work

Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
johnny reb is on a distinguished road

sory bean check your hot an grond if wrong 1 side will work other want switchem this was my trouble jr

Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I've got a factory wiring diagram for a 94 (I own one too) and am looking to see what your problem might be, I'll get back to you. If you're interested in getting one as well as a service manual, they're $35.00 each and here's the website. The driveability and emissions is in the same book as the W/Ds. Great troubleshooting stuff in them. Worth their weight in gold.
http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...J7586RVDTU32PE

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

OK. You have a 30 amp power accessory circuit breaker (labelled PWR ACC 30A) on the upper right side of your fuse box. The Orange wire with Black stripe (Orn/Blk) is the power wire in this system. It splits off into 3 different Orn/Blk wires at a splice with one going to each front door lock switch and the third going to the door lock relay which is located behind left side of instrument panel on the right side of the steering column bracket. For the front switches the Unlock relay control wires are Black (Blk)and the Lock relay control wires are Light Blue (Lt Blu).
Do you have power at both of the front switches and the relay (Orn/Blk wires)?
At the switches it goes to pin A and at the relay to pin C (from fuse block)
When you hit the "Lock" switch (either one) it puts power through the Lt Blu wire to energize the Lock relay which then puts power to the gray wires at pin E on the relay assenbly and makes a circuit through the actuator and back through the relay via the Tan wire to the busbar ground (Blk wire at relay pin D). Complicated? A little until you read the wiring diagram. To Unlock the switch powers the Unlock relay through the Blk wire from the switches and flows through the actuator from the Tan wire at relay pin B (yes this was a ground path in Lock position) and travels back through the Gra wire through the relay and then to busbar ground.
This is how the system works. What's wrong with yours?
I would start with the switches specifically the Orn/Blk wires. These should all have power all the time. If they are good make sure the switches are conducting power the right way. You might even try to jump around the switch and see if that works. If you can just break down how the system works from the above explanation and follow it out on your truck you should be able to find out where the gap in power is. Since some of the stuff works this tells me you're getting ground. I can't exactly tell from your description of the problem what works and what doesn't. I'm not too bad of an electrician on these things so if you could provide a little more info it would help. Here to help not confuse (really). Let me know.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-01-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Driver's door power lock