1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Electrical Issue or Short Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member
Killah_K is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Issue or Short Need help!!

I have a 1989 Blazer S-10 Sport V6 4.3L. The truck won't run right, it sputters than dies. The gauges are not reading right and the radio when on CD will shut off and turn on repeatedly.

This all started when i pushed in my car phone charger. I heard a "buzz" and the truck kinda reset, gauges flickered etc... Then it died on me. I took off the positive terminal for more than 10 mins to reset the computer. I looked for any loose wires underneath the truck. I don't know what to try next.

Did i mention that just before I pushed the car charger in I floored the gas pedal and slammed on the brakes. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Please help! Thank you

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Starting Member
ioldflewcfh is on a distinguished road

Check all your fuses and connections to the battery

Old 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member

All fuses are good. Battery terminals are nice and tight. I took the radio out and checked the wires. Also, when i turn on the interior lights the floor lights come on but the top light and rear light doesn't. I don't know where else to look... Any ideas?

Last edited by Killah_K; 05-18-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure when they came out with ECM's but I know a kid in our shop hooked up the battery charger to our CNG car on 18V with a boost and grounded it to the engine block and left it there. It ended up frying the ECM and it did all sorts of crazy **** like you mentioned.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member

I also have a stereo system in the car. I have an extra battery in the trunk which I have tried disconnecting to see if that's the problem. WHen i had the amp hooked up and turned the dimer for the interior lights to "on" the amp would turn on. Weird... Someone please help!!!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Have you taken out your cigarette lighter II guess that's where you plugged in the phone) and looked at it? That runs straight off the "hot at all times" circuit. That seems to be where your problem started (but might noy end there). I would pull it and disconnect it for starters and see if it looks burnt on the back.Yiu can even smell it and if smells burnt (not cig burnt smell) you may have fried some wiring. Rhe lighter and the interior lights are all on the same circuit. You may want to pull the lenses off the dome lights and look for burned contacts or a bad switch on the rear one. That switch will turn on all your interior lights. You are saying that all of this happened starting with the phone plug-in. Interesting problem you have here I must say.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation 89 Blazer s-10 Sport Ground issue? Computer? Wires?

I wanted to start a new thread on this because i have more information and am hoping to get some ideas.

The Blazer is an S-10 1989 V6 4.3L Sport edition. My dash lights are not reading right, when i start it and keep on the gas it runs fine, when i let off it sputters and dies. Before this happened I slammed on the brakes twice and pushed in my phone charger which i believe arched. I'm not sure if the truck died because of the phone charger or be beating on it

Could i have shorted out the computer? I have taken off the positive wire from the battery overnight and no difference.

I did the code check with pin 5 and 6 and just keeps giving me code 12.
Also when i turn on my interior lights my radio shuts off. I never experienced any kind of electrical issues with this truck before.

I found a couple spark plug wires that where touching the manifold and arching. I moved them out of the way. I also found the ground wire that goes from the firewall to the engine block was not connected and i re secured it. I checked all my fuses and they all seem fine. I took the fuses out for the radio, cig lighter/horn and any other ones that aren't needed to start the vehicle. I believe there must be a short somewhere but I don't know where to look. Please Help!!!!!

I really need some help with this I am stumped. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road
Default Had the same problem

Make sure that your cigarette plug's ground is not touching with the positive core, also check the rear internal light's switch (switch it few times on and off), but most important, don't just check your fuses, make sure they are well plugged. I had the same problem with one of the computer's fuses, and that mad me loose the horn, radio, and internal lights (but not lower ones), and didn't know what was the problem as I was checking fuses as they were plugged. Then I found out the hard way that that fuse wasn't getting good contact in its plug, when the fuse itself started melting! I had it broken once before that. So I cleaned the contacts for the plug in the fuse box with a tiny file and changed the fuse, and didn't have a problem since.
One more thing, if I plug something really deep/hard into the cigarette plug, I loose the radio, and sometimes that cuts power from the whole system! And the reason is that the plug is made in a really bad way that causes the positive to touch the ground inside the plug.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merged threads back together* - Please keep threads on the same topic together. Double posting is against forum rules.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I'm with you on the lighter. I had to take mine apart 3 timrs before I got it together right. For code reading you should jumper Pins A - B (the two upper right ones in the tip row (bey off) and then turn on the key to run position (without starting the truck). Then read the codes off you Check Engine Light. We'll figure it out but need all info available. I'll try to look at some W/Ds I have on your truck. Just to confirm we have an 89 Blazer with a 4.3L engine. Automatic or manual shift?

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue or Short Need help!!