1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Mgiudice is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Codes

so i figured out why when i hooked up the diagnostic machine it would not work... needed to connect to the positive terminal of my battery. anyways turns out my service engine light is not faulty and i came up with codes 32 and 43. i looked up in my Chilton book but it speaks geek to me and i consider myself pretty mechanically inclined. please tell me what these mean and how to correct the issue.

Thanks a billion,
MGIUDICE

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

32 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) circuit
43 - Knock sensor signal was either above 3.5 volts or below 1.5 volts for at least 20 seconds.

32 could be caused by a failed EGR circuit while 43 could be a failed knock sensor. But I would start with testing the wiring from the PCM to the two components to make sure that there are no problems with wiring prior to component replacement.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 AM

ok so how crucial are these two sensors? In my states county we dont have emission control laws or anything like that. so mechanically am i safe or should i be concerned.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about the knock sensor but I can tell you that it's a very good idea to have the EGR working properly because it injects inert exhaust gases into the combustion system to keep things from getting too hot.

And be glad you don't have emissions testing in your part of Eastern Washington. I'm in Pierce County and I hate it with a passion!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

the 93's came with a 5 wire Linear Exhaust recirculation system. you have a grey, black, brown, grey & pink/blue wire. The pink/blue is the ignition feed from ECM1 10amp fuse...check too see if fuse is good...with Key Off & wiring j-connector disconnected, check ohms, (on EGR body pins) between Grey (next to pink/blue wire) and Black...should be above 3k ohms...check ohms at two most outer pins, grey & pink/blue....should be 9.5-10.5 ohms....check from Brown wire (pin on EGR)to Black wire (pin on EGR)...should be .7 to 4k..will vary when pintle is moving....with "KEY ON" there should be 5v reference on the wiring harness j-connector, from the computer between Grey (next to pink/blue) and Black wire...if not present, ECM is bad.....
I would pull the EGR valve and check for plugged up hole or pintle movement...9 times outa 10 the hole is almost clogged up....there is a new gasket out with a screen to replace the old.....
the 93's also came with 2 knock sensors...also has the 5v reference volts from the ECM...disconnect the sensors and with Key ON measure from wire to ground...should have 5v...move the wire around while measuring to check connector and wire....with the two wires off...KEY OFF...check OHMS from terminal of Knock sensor to ground (engine block)...should be 8.2k ohms.....if much lower or higher, sensor is bad....hope this helps a little.....

Last edited by Magmotor; 09-13-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 PM

both replies have been helpful and i plan on testing them at my earliest opportunity. thank you.

ya i am very luck that my town is five miles south of Spokane county because they have emission control and everything i have heard about that experience have not been pleasant lol.