1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine coolant vanishes? (yes another thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member
Meganutter is on a distinguished road
Wink Engine coolant vanishes? (yes another thread)

Hi again,

I have searched a while and have not found any answer to my issue yet.

A while ago, i accidentally pulled out the temp. sensor and had a lot of coolant leak. After i managed to prod it back in and tighten it down i filled it up again and just let it run.
sometime later i still could smell heated coolant fluid, so i checked the plastic bin and it was empty (for god knows how long). The day after i filled it up again when going to work and when returning from work, i figured that might have been air in the system.

Now, a good month later i still smell the hot coolant fluid and need to fill up a little again.

I have checked the engine oil, took out the dipstick and held a lighter under it (away from the car ofcourse) to see if it would sputter like water in a hot pan. It did not, so i have been told there is no coolant in there.

I have checked around the engine and someone from the roadside help people (ANWB in my country) look at it but they didnt find any signs of leakage.

Any ideas what i should check?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

check the passenger side carpet, near where your friend's feet would go. If it feels wet or sticky, chances are you have a leak on your heater core.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Beginning Member

I have checked the carpet and is was dry.

I have however finally found a drop falling from under my engine, its about the same location as the oil filling cap if i have seen it correctly.

Im glad its not going into the cabin or engine oil but still it sucks.

I have made a quickie mspaint to point the location.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Dont forget about AC condensate

But, guess what.. lots of LIM leaks are about there but on the opposite side.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-20-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Dont forget about AC condensate

But, guess what.. lots of LIM leaks are about there but on the opposite side.
What does LIM mean? im not really used to the jargon and abbreviations yet so please bear with me.

Also, would the AC still drip after the car has been sitting still overnight? i never run the AC or window defrog as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Meganutter
What does LIM mean? im not really used to the jargon and abbreviations yet so please bear with me.

Also, would the AC still drip after the car has been sitting still overnight? i never run the AC or window defrog as well.
Sorry.. lower intake manifold gasket. you been here a while, I assumed you watched other people's problems.
That puddle should have coolant smell. Look Close at intake/head junction and see if wet spot runs around the bottom of head toward the rear. Like I said.. usually happens on driver side.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Sorry.. lower intake manifold gasket. you been here a while, I assumed you watched other people's problems.
That puddle should have coolant smell. Look Close at intake/head junction and see if wet spot runs around the bottom of head toward the rear. Like I said.. usually happens on driver side.
Well, i registered a long while ago indeed. I havent looked around here a lot because i took the issues i had for granted with in the back of my mind the fixes. Now with my new blazer, i want stuff fixed XD so i expect to open some more threads here about a lot of stuff hehe.

i did try to smell the puddle and it seemed to smell faintly of coolant, to look at the intake/head i suppose i need to get under my truck? and what do the parts i need to look for look like? can i see them with the (stock?) protection plates on my chassis?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran

Dont think so.. you have a 94, right? look at the junction of lower intake/head/engine block under the AC compressor. If it's dry there you need get under and look up above and behind the starter.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member
jrakers2 is on a distinguished road
Default leak

I had the same problem it turned to be the head gasket at early stages. It wasn't getting my engine hot to suspect it but the smell was there. I drove it cause I had to but eventually it started getting hot the worse it got. No smoke either till worse. All I have

Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

When you put the coolant temp sensor back in, did you use teflon tape on the threads?

Quick Reply: Engine coolant vanishes? (yes another thread)