1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Baja Blazer 85 is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Manifold

Hello guys!

I'm looking for a RIGHT hand side exhaust manifold for a 1985 Blazer 2.8L. It appeared to me that LMC had it, but they list the part as 1986 and up. Whats the difference between the 1986 and 1985 RH exhaust manifold? If there is a big difference (and I cannot interchange them), where can I find a new one for a 1985?

I need this part badly because my manifold is cracked and it runs like crap.

Thanks alot!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried finding one on a few other sites as well and couldn't, but they sell them for an 86+. They only stock the driver's side for an '85. Best bet would be to look in a junkyard or try to find a picture of an 85 manifold somewhere on the internet to see the difference. I bet an 86 manifold would bolt up fine, but i'm betting the difference is with the EGR valve setup.

I'm wondering if using a high-temp 2 part epoxy like JB Weld would help things until you get an exhaust manifold

Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 AM

I know for sure that the '86 is, infact, much different from the '85 now after some research. And its not just the EGR valves....the whole thing is a different shape.

My cousin clams to have found one at NAPA in his area, but it sounds too good to be true (I went to Chucks/Checker/Kragen, they couldn't even order one).

I dont think I would trust JB weld...it seems like it would just melt away? Thanks for the idea though.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Where is the crack located? Why not just have it welded up? If its easy to see where the crack is Im sure a welder can seal it up for you. You could even grind the weld after to smooth it out and in a week it will rust up and match the manifold and anyone else wont know its there. If you have acess to a welder, just grind the spot you are gonna weld down to the clean metal, and crank the welder up to max heat if its a small garage style one and seal her up as it on the truck with a few small beads so it wont warp the manifold. The grind the bead down and you should be good to go. I know its not the perfect fix but it would work just fine and will save you from a broken exhaust stud removal maybe...

I would use the JB weld anywhere else but the exhaust manifold, I fixed an intake with it the other week and it worked great and matched the aluminum color really well too.

Thats a sweet looking blazer in your sig too, I like the IROC rims on it thats hot.

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-24-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM

I have spoken to exhaust gurus and welding gurus alike, and they mostly say that its not worth the effort to weld exhaust manifolds for many reasons.

At this point, I have the option of buying a $200 (pfffst) exhaust manifold. yea right.

The guys on S10 forum say that my particular manifold has three A.I.R. holes on the top (for emissions) which is why its so hard to come by them.

But thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming, I would like to get my blazer running nice again. Soon

Old 03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do have to preheat cast iron to get a good weld. It really isn't that difficult, but is mostly unknown to a lot of people.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like brazing would also be a possibility if you could find someone to do it

Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm not too sure what brazing is, except that it is a form of welding....? Whats the difference between brazing and welding?

One guy that I talked to about refinishing my current manifold said that welding would cause warping in the surface where it connects to the block, as well as its lack of longevity (only last about a week).

I finally got around to taking a pic of the problem here.....

Last edited by Baja Blazer 85; 03-26-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Looks like you need a new one. I was expecting something quite a bit smaller. I don't think you'd have any luck welding that but I'm not a welding guru either. Looks finished to me. Just an opinion.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 03-26-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that's a big crack! We've welded up exhaust manifolds before, but not a crack that large.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold