1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter Wrench sizes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Filter Wrench sizes

I have a 94 s10 blazer. I have been having issues with it starting, I believe it needs a new fuel filter. I have one and am going to attempt it myself. Seems simple, remove old, replace with new. My question is what size wrenches do I need? both for the filter side and the line side?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

I forget off the top of my head. I want to say 1/2 inch and 5/8's. The bolt that holds the bracket is a 10mm. Loosen the fuel lines before removing it from the bracket, otherwise the filter is going to want to twist while trying to loosen the lines.

You say that the truck is hard to start. What are the symptoms you are having? It could be something else then the filter. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Which type of engine - CPI or TBI?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM

no pressure gauge, CPI, but as far as being hard to start.... It has a strong crank, and it will crank 10+ times no problem, but just not fire, or if it does, just barely. I have checked and I have a good spark. Does not smell of gas. I have talked with a number of mechanics and they all say it is probablly the fuel pump or filter. I have never replaced the filter and dont know if it has ever been, so I figured this was a good place to start.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A gauge will only set you back ~$40 and will be a valuable tool to have in your tool box. Some stores will even let you rent a gauge. Testing the fuel pressure will get you going in the right direction without needlessly replacing parts. If you do not have pressure, and do have power to the fuel pump, the pump is likely bad and in need of replacement.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 AM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

Yeah like Swartlkk said, rent, borrow or steal a gauge, but it will help narrow down possible problems. Poor pressure could be due to a number of things. But good pressure and still no starting could be other things.

Once you get ahold of a guage, tell us what the pressure is at Key ON, not started, and how long it holds pressure after you turn the key OFF.

Does the truck start right away if you spray carb cleaner into the throttle body?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

18mm and 20mm flare nut wrenches...after liberal and frequent applications of PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

vise grips and vise grips

rarely do i ever have these things comes off with wrenches and half the time the lines peel off. spray them down a few days ahead of time to loosen them up

Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Really? I had no problems with the flare nut wrenches and PB. Not with open-end. The fuel filter on mine was original, too.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM

Just changed the filter today, turned out to be a 16mm and 20mm. After spraying them down for almost a week with Liquid Wrench they came off fairly easily. Now to wait and see how it starts up tomorrow to find out if that was the problem or not.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:14 PM

Dang... I knew I should've looked in the toolbox first. Sorry...

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Wrench sizes