1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel issue?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Starting Member
skyline2250 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel issue?!?

When i go to start my Blazer, the truck will crank and crank and crank, and then it will start, maybe. Sometimes i have to let it crank for a good minute before she starts. I pulled the OBD1 codes and it says that the system is normal. 1 long and 2 short. Im lost and i do not want to dump a ton of money into the Blazer because its rusty, but i love my blazer and i want to keep it around. any help would be greatly appreciated

1994 blazer 4.3 vortec 4 wheel drive. i have changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. have not had time to do the fuel filter yet.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Good thing you don't want to unload tons of $$ on your can. Do diags for FREE (not the American way tho'). Save the $$ and then PM me the cash you save YUP.

No codes? Even H History codes?

Has it gone closed loop? FULLY warmed up? If so, and no SES light, then go basics: air, fuel, fire.

Air: Air filter clean?
Fuel: Static and Dynamic pressure tests. See youtube for FP test vids, see FORUM HERE for CORRECT procedure. You HAVE TO know these pressures to diagnose a car with NO SES light. It ain't hard NOPE.
Fire: Wires, plugs, timing, static timing first, then dynamic timing. Again, not hard, and NECESSARY if no codes.

Post questions. Plug and Pray replace-a-part Fully Automatic Assault Wallet Select-Fire don't NEVER work NOPE nOPe NEEOOOpE. Nuh uh.

Last edited by Schrade; 03-19-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:44 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah you arent going to have to dump a ton of money to fix it man.

Fuel leaks seem to be quite the common problem on these trucks, especially the vin W engines. I think most of us have had them.

Some easy checks for you to do:

-pull your dipstick and smell the oil, does it smell like oil or gasoline? Is it over full?
-take the cover off your engine that says VORTEC on it, then take out that thing that looks like a hockey puck thats under the cover - grab a flashlight and look in here, whats it look like? It should be black everywhere, if you see puddles or clean spots you have a problem in there. If there is puddles then its gasoline, oil cannot get up in here.
-pop out the spark plugs and see what the condition of them is like. Even better, crank your truck like you have to do when it wont start, but dont get it to start. Then pull the plugs, are they wet? What do they look like? White is bad, coated in carbon is bad, wet is bad.
-Instead of buying a part to try out, buy a Fuel Injection test kit, or borrow one and see what pressure you have. With key on engine off you should have 55-60... Then turn off the key - what happens? It shouldnt move the needle at all. If it drops, you have a leak. The test kit goes onto the little nipple at the back of the engine by the brake resevoir, you will see the 2 fuel lines coming up and going into the engine from the backside. The nipple is on these lines.

Do these tests and get back to us.