1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

GMC Jimmy s15 help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by pettyfog
The next option is your oil press sender. Pretty sure that part of it's right. Just right of distributor

Pull the connector. It has three pins. Disconnected, one will be 12v to gnd either all the time or all the time with key on. One will be 5volts with key on: that goes to dash press gauge.
One will read no volts. It may be gray. Taht one is the one that holds the fuel pump on, when running it is the other side of switch to twelve volts. On it you should read less than 15 ohms to gnd.
If you have someone turn key on, it should read 12 v for two seconds.
ALSO in many the FP relay is behind dash
Key on should hear a click, two secs later another click as it turns off.
The fuel pump relay on the jimmy is located on the cowl/firewall drivers side, right next to the wiper relay, I tested that first last night by swapping the 2 of them (since its the same part) thinking that it could be the relay, and the truck still did not work.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by richphotos
The fuel pump relay on the jimmy is located on the cowl/firewall drivers side, right next to the wiper relay, I tested that first last night by swapping the 2 of them (since its the same part) thinking that it could be the relay, and the truck still did not work.
Okay.. forgot! I guess it's 95-97 that is behind dash. {?}

Anyway.. I AM pretty sure the Press sw test applies because I looked up the sender on rockauto.

{Also on every descr of the 12 pin aldl I can find 'G' is the FP test, but that doesnt matter, here.}

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, the pump is dead as a door nail. I appreciate you walking me through this.
I will have the pump/sending unit by thursday or friday (the lines looks real rusty at the sending unit, so i decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all. 220 shipped instead of 310 at napa or orielly

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by richphotos
Yeah, the pump is dead as a door nail. I appreciate you walking me through this.
I will have the pump/sending unit by thursday or friday (the lines looks real rusty at the sending unit, so i decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all. 220 shipped instead of 310 at napa or orielly
Oh damn! NOT AIRTEX!!!! Delphi or AC DELCO only!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Oh damn! NOT AIRTEX!!!! Delphi or AC DELCO only!
Yup, got me a Delphi

Old 04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Max_Power will become famous soon enough

go give the fuel tank a few kicks or thwocks with a rubber hammer and try. Sometime if you have just gotten to that point the fuel pump will start a few more times. Just a easy diagnostic trick...but doesn't eliminate anything unless it works. You can also spray a bit of starting fluid into the intake and see if it comes alive for a few seconds.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran

Well, one thing about being a body man, I am not dropping the tank to do the fuel pump/sending unit, Just going to pull up the carpet, cut a hole in the floor.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran

Any tips before tackling this job?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

start spraying the fuel line fittings now with PB blaster or equivalent. I know you have a new sender, but it's always easier if the parts come apart rather then breaking them....

Old 04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran

Sprayed the fuel line fittings, this is what it looks like, Looks like the previous owner took out the sending unit, and broke one of the fittings and did this, any tips on what to do now with the new sending unit coming soon
plus a couple pics of the hole I cut
Here is the hole

and here is the hack job previous owner did, suggestions on this please, never had to deal with anything like this before

Quick Reply: GMC Jimmy s15 help asap