1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

'as good a place as any...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Beginning Member
Figuarus is on a distinguished road
Default 'as good a place as any...

hello everyone, Johnathan here from SL,UT ()

Got myself a 91 S10 Blazer 4 door. high miles, but it was purchased for 700 bucks and has a 5 spd manual in it, so i can't complain. (Well, I can, That's why i'm here)

So, here I am, seeking help about some items that are preventing me from getting my plates done.

At it sits, the abs light is on and the parking brake light is on as well. (the Anti-lock light was previously burnt out along with the rest of the right side illumination for the instrument cluster.

I shorted the pins to get the codes from the DLC, ended up with codes 61,62,12, and 22 in that order.

I've been lurking and reading and filling my head with information, but while I think i have come up with a solution, I do not know if it's advisable.

Code 61, and 62 are pump valve reset failure and valve relay failure codes. Code 12 is a "Systems Normal" code (which doesnt make sense in my opinion) and a code 22, which states it's a lack of signal from right front wheel sensor.

I want to perform an ABS delete (remove the ABS system Completely), but don't know if it's feasible or advisable. What exactly would be involved

I'm short on cash, and have limited time to get this registered before my temp operating permit expires

Help me Blazer Forum, You're my only hope!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

do they just visually see the abs light on and thats what prevents you from passing inspection of whatever it is you have?

i deleted my 93 by just cutting all the wires at all the tires due to swapping axles, i left the pump and everything in there and it has no abs. but to do it the proper way you have to rip the pump or abs unit whatever you have in ther and just put in a regular proportioning valve like they did in the old s10s

if alls they are worried about is the light, try unplugging the abs unit. might shut it off

Old 08-24-2012, 11:52 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I read all the above but wouldn't the DMV know what was/is stock on that vehicle & look for that running properly?
By removing a light seems like you're taking them for fools, as in they wouldn't be capable of knowing what that vehicle had as stock & that it should be working "as to stock".
What is "advisable" & what did or do they do? That's a thin line for sure.
Maybe I'm missing something... I am Canadian eh lol
C eh N eh D eh but I don't talk like that & laugh/dissapointed at Canadians that do.
Trust me! My American gf points out all my "faults" lol

Last edited by Rottidog; 08-24-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Beginning Member

do they just visually see the abs light on and thats what prevents you from passing inspection of whatever it is you have?
In a sense yes. Having the brake light on after the parking brake is off is considered an instant safety fail. Utah made the rules on that one.

I'm leaning towards removing the actual ABS components, but dont know what is involved.

if alls they are worried about is the light, try unplugging the abs unit. might shut it off
I might be able to do this and pass, i disconnected the furthest front right plug and the light comes off, but of course the tech is going to see it's disconnected.

What is "advisable" & what did or do they do?
The Abs just doesnt work at the moment, everything brakes just fine, it's merely the problem that i have, in effect, a broken safety system.

here in utah, if the vehicle has the abs light on and it's older than 96, it will pass, (the park light must be off)
after 96, it must not have ANY caution or warning lights on.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member

well, went to my safety guy, he let me slide on the idler arm since i got the rest of the stuff taken care of.

the ABS is currently disconnected, and i have yet to notice any issues, but would like to remove the system completely.

is there a need to change the combination valve or can i connect the lines direct from the master cylinder?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough