1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

great start to the new year, NEED HELP ASAP !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Either Fuel or spark: If you have spark, bring a small amount of gas with you and pour a small amount directly in the TBI. Try to start. If it starts and dies then you know you have a fuel issue. If it starts and stay running you probaly have a weak fuel pressure. Fuel issue can be the injectors, pressure regulator, clogged fuel filter or a bad pump, faulty fuel pump relay. You need a fuel pressure tester to check the pressure and for the TBI vehicals there is no built in test port. You might be able to get a pressure tester on loan from Auto Zone. Leave a deposit and get it back when you bring the tool back. Good pressure for TBI is around 11 PSI.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point

I am almost positive it is not fuel related just checked today when I got off of work and I have consistent fuel spray when I crank it didn't have time to check if I had spark but I am pretty sure I do it is cranking just not starting and chris now that I have a pic I know what to look for now

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Cranking has nothing to do with you having spark BTW.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Starting Member

I know I still need to check just didn't have time

Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Good, just making sure. Your last post seemed like perhaps you were confused, haha.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Starting Member

lol that's one thing about getting a ride if the other person has time constraints it screws you on what you can actually do to figure out what is wrong

Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Remove a plug or bring a spare spark plug with you and have a plug wire on the plug with the plug grounded on a piece of metal in the engine compartment. Crank and look for an arc. Or if you have access to an inductive timing light. (Auto Zone Loan a Tool) You can check for spark without removing anything. Install timing light pick up on any plug wire crank and check for light during cranking. If the plug has no spark install timing light pick up on the coil wire. If no spark then replace the coil. If the coil has spark and not the plug then you have an issue with the distributer. If you believe you have an issue with the distrubuter I know NAPA sells a complete remanufactured distributer. (Less Time then trying to figure out which one of the components are failing) Replacing the distributer is not hard but you have to carefull to replace the distributer so the rotor is pointing to the exact location as when you removed it.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Starting Member

Got it running again .... finally!!!! had to replace the wires , distributor cap, and the rotor fired right up ran rough for a couple minutes then it was fine it also doesn't have any rough idle, stalling, backfiring, etc like it had before I am very happy that I am back on the road again. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

what brand parts did you use ?

Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Starting Member

NAPA brand cheapest parts I could get cost me $17 for the cap and rotor and $16 for a set of wires except the wires were duralast not NAPA brand

Quick Reply: great start to the new year, NEED HELP ASAP !!!!!!!