1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

H6054 to H4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

cheapest way: aim them lights higher, i run with about 400lbs of weight in the back of mine causing my lights to shine farther down the road. people don't like it but i can see

Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point

So you purposely drive around w/ excess weight, in return your killing gas mileage...because you're (just guessing) too cheap to buy an aftermarket and brighter headlight conversion for $20? Do you not see the irony in that?

"Aim THEM lights higher" Don't you mean "Aim YOUR light higher"? Yeah, not an option. I can see just fine using the HID projectors in my X5 w/o the need to be an *** to oncoming drivers...the beam is focused and where it should be, has the nice upwards right angle cutoff and they're self leveling. Aiming them higher is the epitome of the cheap way out, and it's rude to other drivers.

Personally I hate people that can't properly aim one or both of their headlights and/or drive around w/ highbeams on because they're lazy to take 5 minutes and too cheap to go spend $10 on a replacement bulb. I'm not looking for the cheapest way, I'm looking for the most effective way.

I'm looking for real opinions, more so as to getting the regular or projector version. Neo has 20+ pages of posts, and I stopped reading the headlight based ones around page 5 or 6.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by m5james
So you purposely drive around w/ excess weight, in return your killing gas mileage...because you're (just guessing) too cheap to buy an aftermarket and brighter headlight conversion for $20? Do you not see the irony in that?

"Aim THEM lights higher" Don't you mean "Aim YOUR light higher"? Yeah, not an option. I can see just fine using the HID projectors in my X5 w/o the need to be an *** to oncoming drivers...the beam is focused and where it should be, has the nice upwards right angle cutoff and they're self leveling. Aiming them higher is the epitome of the cheap way out, and it's rude to other drivers.

Personally I hate people that can't properly aim one or both of their headlights and/or drive around w/ highbeams on because they're lazy to take 5 minutes and too cheap to go spend $10 on a replacement bulb. I'm not looking for the cheapest way, I'm looking for the most effective way.

I'm looking for real opinions, more so as to getting the regular or projector version. Neo has 20+ pages of posts, and I stopped reading the headlight based ones around page 5 or 6.

no i don't drive around with 400+ pounds cause i don't want to reaim my lights. i drive around to be prepared and help out the people that aren't, plus i work on farm machinery all the time. i'll have a light bar up soon on my new beast so im not to cheap. and i've used blocks and air shocks in the back to try to level them out as much as i can so no its not on purpose. i was just suggesting the cheapest option cause money is tight for alot of people. finally i write what i have to say then move on to the next thread, there is way to many people looking for answers to reread, spell check, reread, ask someone to look over first then click submit. not enough hours in the day. if you got the money go for your light upgrade. i was just offering my opion

Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Aiming the headlights higher won't increase light output, it just throws the dull light further and up into other people eyes. That I won't do, so it's not a realistic option.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I would go with the ones that Neo posted. They will definitely be an improvement over the stock sealed beam bulbs. Whatever you do, I would stick with a well known brand.

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
finally i write what i have to say then move on to the next thread, there is way to many people looking for answers to reread, spell check, reread, ask someone to look over first then click submit. not enough hours in the day.
Maybe that's why other people have meaningful posts that are accurate instead of off the mark replies latent with inaccuracies...

Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 PM

I found EXACTLY what I was looking for! https://blazerforum.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=15 It doesn't show the stock H6054 headlights for a true before/after comparison, but at least it answers my question about if the H4 conversion does the right corner cutout and how well Bi-Xenon H4's will look in the conversion lights.

Thanks for the suggestion to look around neo. I'm guilty of posting a question instead of just searching like I always preach to other people.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 AM

So I finally got around the ordering the $20 conversion headlights from ebay. Even though its included for free (you have to ask for them), I didn't need the harness adapters since the plug that went into the H6054 is the exact same plug that goes onto the new H4 bulb.

One problem (at least I know it COULD become a problem) is that the headlights came w/ a pair of fake HID blue bulbs that are rated @ 90w instead of the standard 55w bulbs. I've made the mistake of using these higher wattage bulbs in the past (on other vehicles), which eventually got so hot that it'll melted the harness and give issues that others have also mentioned.

I took pics w/ stock headlight, then the ebay headlights using the included 95watt bulbs, Sylvania Silverstars, then lastly a set of bi-xenon H4 bulbs...using one of each on each side of the truck, before and afters, shining on the garage wall and down the street...all in an effort to show the beam pattern and brightness differences.

I'm replying via my phone now, so i'll edit this post later. In the end, using a normal 55w H4 bulb gave a great horizontal cutoff w/ a distinct upwards and to right angle on the beam, which is exactly what a good headlight should do...in the U.S. at least. The HID's gave lots of light output, but the beam just wasn't as focused and the highbeams were near useless compared to H4 halogens. I attribute the length differences of the halogen vs the HID as to why the beam changed focus, kind of like the same way turning a MagLite will change the focus as well. Just my .02.

Anyways, once I have time, i'll upload all the before/after pics....in the meantine, the link in my post above gives a good example. For the price though, these ebay headlights are a great improvement over stock headlights when using the proper 55w bulb.

Last edited by m5james; 03-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

glad to see you got that taken care of.

as for the type of bulb you plan on using, i too did that conversion in 2 of my 1st gen's, and ended up using the PIAA 100/130W bulbs. nice pattern, but like most higher wattage bulbs, i had to re-align my HL's.

never had an issue with any PD's.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:37 PM

I've used different types of higher wattage bulbs, but eventually they we're more trouble than good when it caused either the headlight switch or harness behind the headlight to melt. If you've had luck, more power to you.

What are PD's btw?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I run the higher watt bulbs in mine but have them on a relay harness drawing power directly off the battery. Makes the light that much brighter and takes the strain off the switch in the cab. Me just adding the relay harness alone before I got my convo bulbs in made a big difference.

Quick Reply: H6054 to H4 conversion