1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Has anyone bypassed the OEM gas tank fuel pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone bypassed the OEM gas tank fuel pumps?

Hey all, just curious: Has anyone done or heard of this being done? Can the fuel pump be removed or plugged up ( killed) on the Blazer gas tanks? I am NOT cool w./ having an ELECTRIC fuel pump right up in the gas tank.

I guess what I'm asking help on is... How hard is it to just bypass the present factory fuel pumps by running a line into an auxillary pump at LEAST a few feet AWAY from the fuel itself!!!???? It seems like one would live longer that-away!?!---LOL---

Why the freak GM put a LIVE power source on/in a gas tank to me seems TOTALLY assinine!! Where is Ralph Nader when you need him? ( as in "Unsafe at ANY Speed" see: Corvair--LMAO!!! ---Thanks for any wisdom/help you all can steer my way!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen an external pump on any car I've had that was made in the last 20 years. There's no reason to be concerned. Ever heard of a gas tank exploding from a fuel pump?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Spin off of the following thread:
Have a "Z" in my vin #'s, is that a TBI?

IMO, it would be a waste of time if all you were concerned about was the fuel tank exploding.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

The last car I owned with an external electric fuel pump was a 1988 Chrysler Conquest. The intank mounted fuel pumps are kept cool by the fuel in the tank.

They tried to make a fuel tank explode on Mythbusters. They had to work DAMNED hard to make it even catch fire as there isn't enough oxygen in the tank for ignition.

If the fuel pump motor did spring a leak the pump would simply short out and blow the fuse.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
I haven't seen an external pump on any car I've had that was made in the last 20 years. There's no reason to be concerned. Ever heard of a gas tank exploding from a fuel pump?
Now that you mention it I never have heard of such a thing! I should probably be more concerned w./ my old GMC P/U truck with 20 gallons of gas sitting right behind me. Never felt comfortable with that "engineering marvel" either!

so, it sounds like as long as the pump shorts out and blows the fuse there ain't nothin' to worry about eh?

Thanks for the feedback guys, like they say "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask". Although some of you're probably thinking my questions were pretty dumb!? I'll feel better thanks to all of your info. that's for sure!. Thanks again!!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
badhabits is on a distinguished road

No question is a dumb question is a question not asked