1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Have a "Z" in my vin #'s, is that a TBI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road
Question Have a "Z" in my vin #'s, is that a TBI?

hey all, I'm confused on which is the TBI. I have a '92 S-10 Blazer. Is it a vortec even if it might be a TBI fuel inj. system? My friend's T-bird has a TBI, looks like half a carburetor, w./ the injectors that go directly thru the throttle body into the manifold right? Heard they aren't as reliable, or smooth running as the better ("W") type Vortecs w./ MPFI (I think that is what they're called), again confused---LOL!---

If my "Z" code is a TBI, should I install the better MPFI, or is it alot of time, and moneys to do so? Would it really be worth all the effort, or is there any "short-cuts" to replacing the TBI's w./ a "better" unit, if avail.?
Or, should I opt -out for a good ole' carb. model? If one travels DEEP into the woods, wouldn't a carb. be better since they're a hell of alot easier to fix than all that high-tech fuel injected crap? -

----Thanks!

Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Vin Z = TBI

The Vortec cylinder head design goes back into the 80's. There has been advances since it's first use. The CPI motor was the first that it was marketed as the Vortec engine though.

I would say that the TBI 4.3L is more reliable than the CPI motor. They both are beat by the newer SCFI motor.

As far as swaps go, it would be far too time consuming to be worth while. There are a number of things that can be done with the TBI motor to increase output beyond that of the CPI motor.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks Swatlkk! I kinda figured the swaps were a waste of time. I'm getting too fat, old, and/or lazy to be bothered w./ alot of that sort of thing for the most part--LMAO!!!

Don't even want to do a fuel pump on the gas tank 'R&R', but from what I've gleaned form various posts herein, figure I best put a new pump on. But dropping the tank, AND having an ELECTRIC pump right ON the tank sounds like a VERY dangerous design flaw of GM's. (imo). I mean one figgin' spark from the pump, and KABOOM!

Surely we can "by-pass" that whole set-up maybe? I want the fuel pump at LEAST 3 or 4 feet AWAY from the gas tank I'll save that for my next post. And then won't have to drop the tank just to service the 'pos'

Glad to hear the TBI's are fine too! Didn't know the Vortecs were around since the '80's. Thought they were some early '90's --on-- design. I've got ALOT to learn about these S-10's Vortecs, but can't wait to get into them!! You see, I was born STUPID, as in a "born gearhead" have to take everything apart, kinda like 'Time the Tool man Taylor' eh?--------------LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlazeringSaddles
But dropping the tank, AND having an ELECTRIC pump right ON the tank sounds like a VERY dangerous design flaw of GM's. (imo). I mean one figgin' spark from the pump, and KABOOM!

--------------LMFAO!!!!!!!!!
Agree with ya there. I prefer my pump right her eon the block with a filter inline so I can actually change it when necessary. hundreds of dollars for a pump when a decent filter woulda saved it makes me wonder...planned obsolescence...WTF!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:24 PM

Aye Lad! Sorry, my Irish came out, even though I am a "lowly half-breed" (barely half Irish), and a Northern Irishman at that, but nobody is perfect eh?

Thanks for the 'heads up' on filters too? Do you mean the filters are inside of the fuel pump?

Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel pumps have been intrinsically safe for a VERY long time. The fact that the fuel tank is a fuel rich environment makes it even less likely that it could blow even if a spark were to happen.

I have done a little experiment for new firefighters a few times in the past. It involves a medium sized coffee can filled to the brim with gasoline, a cold day, and a match. On every occasion of performing this experiment, I have tossed a lit match into the coffee can and had the match snuff out. I can explain the reason why if necessary, but I do not want to twist this thread off on some wild tangent. Suffice to say that this experiment has always been performed with two charged 1-3/4" hose lines ready in the event that there is a problem and should not be attempted by anyone else under any circumstances */disclaimer*

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

I hear ya'. my Dad ran a gas station years ago, and used to throw lit cig. butts into a can of gas. Don't think it was full either! *wink*. For all reading, DON'T try this at home, only stupid 'Old School' men would do such things, or young-uns on those "Jack-As*"movies too I reckon!---LMAO!!---

As long as the fuel tank isn't near empty and full of fumes ( the most highly unstable time), I guess I'll trust my Blazer, but ASAP, I'm going to see what an "external"/remote fuel pump set-up will entail. Because, just my luck, I hit a piece of flint w./ my gas tank. Should get a skid plate for the tank come to think of it, huh?---heeee, heee, heeee.....

Well, hell amigo, I can't agree w./ you EVERY time eh? Not unless I start squatting while I **** that is! *OUCH, a "politically incorrect" goofaw for all you ladies out there! J/K

Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Actually, it is the fact that it is FULL of fumes. Gasoline has a fairly low UEL (upper explosive limit) of 7.6%. Anything over 7.6% concentration of gasoline fumes (what actually burns) and it is too rich to support combustion.

The challenge that you will run into with an inline pump is how you configure the pickup in the tank.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk

I have done a little experiment for new firefighters a few times in the past. It involves a medium sized coffee can filled to the brim with gasoline, a cold day, and a match. On every occasion of performing this experiment, I have tossed a lit match into the coffee can and had the match snuff out. I can explain the reason why if necessary, but I do not want to twist this thread off on some wild tangent. Suffice to say that this experiment has always been performed with two charged 1-3/4" hose lines ready in the event that there is a problem and should not be attempted by anyone else under any circumstances */disclaimer*

That and the cinnamon dragon is something I think every firefighter has seen or has done.

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Actually, it is the fact that it is FULL of fumes. Gasoline has a fairly low UEL (upper explosive limit) of 7.6%. Anything over 7.6% concentration of gasoline fumes (what actually burns) and it is too rich to support combustion.

In laymans terms, too much fuel and not enough oxygen to support combustion.

Last edited by neo71665; 11-21-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the knowledge Swartlkk, I'd always been told that a gas tank that was almost empty was more explosive-prone due to all the room for fumes to build up. Never knew that UEL stuff either. Very interesting! I'll have to read up on that stuff, just might come in handy! So which is more explosive then a full or near empty gas tank?

Was alos wondering a friend of mine said when a gas tank in a car blows up it goes "thump" and not like in all the movies where there is a big-arsed explosion, and lots of flames going a "mile-high". Is this true or does it depend on lots of different variables?

Quick Reply: Have a "Z" in my vin #'s, is that a TBI?