1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Starting Member
InsanePyro is on a distinguished road
Default Heater

During the summer my heater was stuck on and would not shut off so I got the brilliant idea to unhook it to escape the insane cockpit temperatures I was experiencing. But now winter is coming and since I am in Wisconsin its already like the arctic in the morning. So I plugged a some of the wires in but my heater still doesn't turn on. Nothing. I found at first that at some point the fuse for it went missing. So I put a 20 amp fuse (its supposed to be a 25) but it still didn't work and the fuse isn't blown. I thought I got all the stuff plugged back in under the hood but I guess I didn't. Anyone have a diagram/tutorial so I can double check and make sure everything is plugged in?

Lastly I also took out some of the parts of my dead A/C since I was sick of it taking up room in my engine bay. All that was removed was the accumulator and the pipes (this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...117645_0_3687_) that go from it to the compressor...that couldn't effect it at all could it? Seeing as they were just hanging there I didn't think it would be a problem removing them

Last edited by InsanePyro; 09-08-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Starting Member

Bump

Also I have the correct fuse in now

Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are basically going to have to go over everything. Hopefully the attached vacuum schematic & the electrical schematic in THIS POST will help.

Attached Thumbnails Heater-92_hvac_vacuum_sch.gif  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Starting Member

Well...heres something interesting...I now will feel heat coming out after driving a while but it isn't being blown in...it just sort of drifts in...

Could my blower motor of died just from sitting? Also does the Vacuum Ball (or lack of) play into this at all? Mine cracked a while ago and I was told its only for cruise control and A/C (neither of which worked when I got he truck in the first place). And a bit off topic but does the ball have anything to do with the 4x4?

Last edited by InsanePyro; 09-09-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The ball is the vacuum reservoir that maintains the vacuum level when your engine is running at a low vacuum (acceleration typically). The hvac & 4wd will function so-so with out it provided the check valve in the system is still functioning properly, but if vacuum is low for too long or there is a leak (disconnected line), you'll have problems with both.

As far as the heater goes, you have everything you need to get in there and start testing. We can't do that for you.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Starting Member

Well I just pulled and tested my blower motor (running it right off the battery) it works great. So what I did then was hook my multimeter into the power wire for the blower motor (purple) and then grounded it (the same for my roof lights which work fine). Nothing. The fuse is fine (gonna double check it momentarily). If that checks out...I'm not sure where to go from there.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You are basically going to have to go over everything. Hopefully ... the electrical schematic in THIS POST will help.
It's unusual but it COULD be the common pole of the relay.
Can you get to the resistor array.. any voltage there?

Last edited by pettyfog; 09-10-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
It's unusual but it COULD be the common pole of the relay.
Can you get to the resistor array.. any voltage there?
Which one is that? There is a few on my firewall? I was trying to trace the power wire but its getting dark so I called it a night because I can't see enough and sadly don't have a garage

Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Starting Member

Fixed it. Turned out there was a pin bent on the relay. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by InsanePyro; 09-11-2011 at 02:51 PM.