1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Heater core replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Beginning Member
408blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Heater core replacement.

alright, so today i found out my heater has gone bad. For the past few days everytime i would turn on my heater it would it start smelling like radiator water(antifreeze), then the passenger portion of my windshield would start to fog up, and the most common sign wet carpet underneath the dashboard on the passenger side.

i searched online and came across this video where the person just takes off a cover underneath the dash to access to the heater core.

s10 blazer heater core installation.mov - YouTube

is this how most people do it? it seems fairly easy.

BTW this is in my 1994 S10 Blazer 4X4

Last edited by 408blazer; 12-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

thats a 1st gen what kind of blazer do you have ?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
thats a 1st gen what kind of blazer do you have ?
i have a 1994 S10 blazer 4X4

Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea if the video shows its possible from under the dash yes

I know the 2nd gens need the dash to be removed

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
yea if the video shows its possible from under the dash yes

I know the 2nd gens need the dash to be removed
oh ok, because I've heard of people having to take off the dash to gain access.

so is just those 2 hoses that i need to connect?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I finished mine a few weeks ago....Im not sure how its possible to get the cover off without at least pulling the dash out a few inches..I tore up my black cover,and BARELY had enough room to get the core back in. I got everything in but a new cover...I have heat....only coming from the passenger floor,but at least its heat lol.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM
BF Guru

yep removing the bolts might be harder since the dash isn't removed

Ive never replaced one on a 1st gen knock on wood

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Beginning Member

Im going to try to do this one of this days. Im starting to loose water from my resiorvor tank and my radiator.

i have heat, i just dont like the smell of antifreeze, and with a baby coming soon its not something i want my baby to be breathing.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

On the first Gen. Remove Glove box door and rear access panel in the glove box. Remove lower dash cover, remove radio. There are 6 or 8 screws around the heater core cover. You can get a one or two through the glove box. Some from underneath. and through the radio opening you want to remove the AC duct from the top of the heater core cover or you will break it and damage the cover when you remove the cover. It is a vent tube that connects to the top of the cover and it protrudes into the heater core cover, all you due is a little twist and pull it straight out of the top. Once all the screws are out, the AC tube is removed you can now pull the cover off. The core is held in place by 2 straps with a screw in the top and bottom of each strap. Remove the bottom screws and loosen the top screws. Make sure the heater hoses are disconnected from the core in the engine compartment. Remove by pulling and twisting the core to get the tubes out of the firewall opening. Installing is difficult because of trying to get the tubes through the firewall and the core in the correct position. You have to twist the core without damaging the solder joints . Rest is reverse of removal. I have done this 4 times in the life of my 89 Jimmy (over 430K Miles). I did break the heater core cover the first time because I was not aware of the AC tube in the top. Use search as I wrote this up on a previous thread as well. Last time was due to a rattle in the heater core and not a leak.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I believe some instructions have you loosed and slide the dash back a little. If you did this I believe it would be a little bit easier getting the heater core into postion. There a mounting bolts on each side of the dash and behind each speaker grill. I have never done this before but it is a real pain to get the heater core back in.

Quick Reply: Heater core replacement.