1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

HELP!! blazer bogging and cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think the cat is plugged.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member
greg94 is on a distinguished road

im going to limp it down the road to my garage and start eliminating things, how do i adjust the fpr? was told its in the throttle body

Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

well if your going to do a tune up on it dont use the bosch +4 those are garbage those usually last about 3,000miles. just go ahead and get the platinum acdelco sparks.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member

ok guys im at a total loss, i drove it down to the garage and it ran fine, i started it and revved it multiple times and it was fine so we drove it around and i romped on it and gave it hell and it ran fine, but i did fine that it has a coolant leak out of the radiator, the fan clutch is bad and when i pulled it into the driveway it was smoking out the engine bay and it didnt smell like coolant smelled like oil so idk what to do

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

get down under and bang on that catalytic convertor, hear anything rattling around in there? is it beat up on the shell and dented?

Is the PCV valve plugged, pull it out and see if the little ball inside moves or if its stuck...

pressure wash the engine (while running) and clean up the oil, then you have a better chance of finding that leak. stick a baggie over the distributor to keep water from getting directly on it.

Also, try wiggling/pulling/pushing the red/blue wires that come out of the intake while its running. They come out under the throttlebody. does it run like crap now?

Old 03-13-2010, 03:19 AM
Beginning Member

when i got it to the garage i did notice that the sensor under the throttle body on the rubber tube was not in the tube it was just hanging down by the water pump, could that have made it run like crap?

Old 03-13-2010, 04:27 AM
Beginning Member
acavill is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else said, give it a good tune up and then go from there. I would also recommend cleaning or replacing your Mass Airflow Sensor. That's what did the trick for me. Hope that helps.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:00 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

That sensor hanging down is your INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE sensor, and I dont think it not being in its place will make your truck run like crap. It just measure the temp of the air flowing over it and adjusts fuel trim accordingly.

Also, there is no MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) sensor on the older blazers.

What you need to do is the tune up, and scan your codes and tell us what you get for codes. Then do the other stuff we have suggested, and get back to us on all the stuff you find wrong with it.

CHECK YOUR EGR, AND CAT, READ THE CODES WITH A PAPERCLIP, AND DO THE DARN TUNE UP...

Last edited by ohsofly; 03-13-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Remove one of the O2 sensors and drive it. If it fells better it is likely that the cat is clogged.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member

the problem was the fuel pressure regulator, replaced it and runs and drives perfect, still get the burning smell though once its to operating temperature

Quick Reply: HELP!! blazer bogging and cutting out