1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How difficult is it to install a water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 03:25 PM
j5689 is on a distinguished road
Default How difficult is it to install a water pump?

I'm thinking about getting this but obviously the water pump needs to be replaced:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/m...656387731.html

I'm wondering if it's easy to do this or not.

And also what particularly should I get to replace it. Not sure what brand to go with for something like that.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The water pump is not particularly hard to replace. Well over half of the work is in just getting to the point where you can unbolt the water pump and remove it.

As far as what brand of water pump to put in. Most all of them are decent. The design used on the 2.8L wasn't anything revolutionary. And most of the time the completely new pumps are just as cheap as the remanufactured ones. I have put in quite a few pumps from Napa without issue on a variety of engines.

Napa # TFW 43116 - $52.99 with a felpro gasket #FPG 35409 - $2.29 will get you a brand new pump and gasket.

The remanufactured pump is # WP 58326 and sells for $30.29 + a $4.40 refundable core charge.

I would install a new thermostat w/ new gasket as well as a new radiator cap (Stant safety cap) as well to make sure that everything is proper with the cooling system. While you are in there, you may want to consider removing the radiator and flushing it out with a garden hose along with flushing out the block.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM

So is it worth it to get this truck then? It'll be my first car ever and I've been looking through SUVs for several months with no luck in finding a deal.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't look too bad for the price. The engine leaves a bit to be desired. The 2.8L is an anemic little engine.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I didn't know those engine ran on blood?

Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by zedartwo
I didn't know those engine ran on blood?
Might want to check out the other meanings of the word 'anemic'.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Doesn't sound like a bad deal I got mine from a friend for $1,000 with a new transmission. and yes the 2.8 is very slow but mine is still on the original motor so it must last a while lol.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM

I asked my uncle, who buys and sells cars and trucks for a living and he said not to buy that one, it's too beat up and unpredictable. It's gonna take forever to find a good deal

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Not sure of the older models, but I've had a 98 and now have a 95. I'd say replacing the water pump in these is the easiest I've ever had to replace. But yes, getting to it is the most work. But the other work you have to do might be an issue.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

The 2.8 is a ;ittle different than a 4.3. Personally I have had both and had the "opportunity" to change both water pumps. I thought the 4.3 was much easier. Did it at a gas station one night after the pump locked up and twisted the fan off and into the radiator. Didn't dare drive it home even after the pump change 'cause it was just possing too much water. It is just a V-8 chevy with two cylinders knocked off. Didn't take all that long though. For some reason the 2.8 just seemed tighter to get to. Took me a lot longer to change than the 4.3 or so it seemed. Maybe my imagination running rampant again. Still do have both though.

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to install a water pump?