1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

I just cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
lilred is on a distinguished road
Cool I just cant figure it out

ok guys and gals boy do I have a problem,93 s-10 blazer 4.3 w runs like it has a rev limiter on it (thats the only way to describe it) starts and idles fine buy can only give it a little gas or it sputters and coughs, i cannot push the peddle down to drive through the stuttering its like she wont turn over 3-400 rpm no matter what. It will drive 70 mph with no problem.
Also when shes cold the problem is worse.
Here is a list of new parts
dist
map sensor
throttle pos sensor
tune up (and all the other stuff I dont have time to list)
spider ***. about 4 months ago w/new fuel filter
my fuel pressure pumps and holds 55# and runs at 40 dosent drop when its sputtering stays constant
and Ihave no emgine codes at all Im a pretty good wrench and so are alot of my buddies but no one I know has any ideas so If you got an idea let me know thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lilred
spider ***. about 4 months ago w/new fuel filter
my fuel pressure pumps and holds 55# and runs at 40 dosent drop when its sputtering stays constant
That doesnt sound at all right. Dunno about the '55' but 55-40 means a total atmosphere difference. ie your manifold is a near perfect vacuum! Doesnt happen.
And the pressure should go up when you accelerate. Fuel pressure regulator or pump.
and Ihave no emgine codes at all Im a pretty good wrench and so are alot of my buddies but no one I know has any ideas so If you got an idea let me know thanks
Hard to figure taht.. should show lean codes.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member
pfsantos is an unknown quantity at this point

See if there's crap keeping the EGR valve slightly open.

Could be other things, but I had very similar symptoms and that was it in my case.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member
jrakers2 is on a distinguished road

I have just fixed my problems similar to yours. I changed a list of parts plus injectors. I didn't find to change my fuel filter till last and it helped just like everything else, just a little. Yes the fuel filter was dirty dirty muddy looking gas. The injectors are just 5 months old so wasn't thinking they where dirty. Not thinking again LOL. The gas was all I had left to be able to fix this on my own after hundreds of dollars replacing parts ( I know my car now LOL). OK I put in the best fuel injector and component cleaner I could find, ran my tank down to 1/8 tank,it was defiantly getting better, put in some good shell gas and bingo perfect like a car with 58,000 actual miles not 200,000 and dying. Hope this helps

Old 01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
lilred is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
That doesnt sound at all right. Dunno about the '55' but 55-40 means a total atmosphere difference. ie your manifold is a near perfect vacuum! Doesnt happen.
And the pressure should go up when you accelerate. Fuel pressure regulator or pump.
Hard to figure taht.. should show lean codes.

sorry i missed typed the pressure pumps up to 60 and holds at 50 when its running its at 50 and does go up as i raise the rpms i hope this helps

Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jrakers2
I have just fixed my problems similar to yours. I changed a list of parts plus injectors. I didn't find to change my fuel filter till last and it helped just like everything else, just a little. Yes the fuel filter was dirty dirty muddy looking gas. The injectors are just 5 months old so wasn't thinking they where dirty. Not thinking again LOL. The gas was all I had left to be able to fix this on my own after hundreds of dollars replacing parts ( I know my car now LOL). OK I put in the best fuel injector and component cleaner I could find, ran my tank down to 1/8 tank,it was defiantly getting better, put in some good shell gas and bingo perfect like a car with 58,000 actual miles not 200,000 and dying. Hope this helps
You really ought to think about dropping your tank and cleaning it and the fuel sock up. THAT blockage could have killed your fuel pump too. Most cooling come s from gas pumped through it.
People, people people!!!
I know everyone SAYS all gas is the same.. comes from same trucks... yadda, yadda
That is NOT true!!!
While it may be nice to support the little guy with the carryout who sells gas too, it's NOT nice when it costs you money. That bad gas was from filthy tanks. It happens.
But besides THAT.. if you live in the right place and buy the right gas, you never have to seafoam the crap out of your fuel system. I'm lucky to live in the heart of Speedway country and that, and Marathon, from high volume stations the ONLY GAS I use.
Even supermarket gas might cause you problems in long term. Kid found out that running gas from one exclusively set off his SES after a while {probably egr.. he thinks that was the code} I told him to knock it off and use three fills at Speedway for one at the Supermarket .. so now it doesnt come on.
Another anecdote: I had a helluva time telling wife not to use BP back in the day. It did not run well, unless you used premium. Now I've checked it and it seems to run good since they switched their formula a couple years ago.
Around here, btw.. aint NO SHELL GAS going in any car of mine. No stations with any volume.
Originally Posted by lilred
sorry i missed typed the pressure pumps up to 60 and holds at 50 when its running its at 50 and does go up as i raise the rpms i hope this helps
Yeah.. I'd say it makes a difference. I'd always considered that for barometric purposes 5lb = 10 inHG.
Since manifold vac under no load should be about 20 inHG*, then running pressure should be 10 lbs less than prime pressure.
*On scantool that means Manifold Absolute Pressure at idle should be about 10 inHG

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.