1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Ignition key stolen!1994 blazer4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Souprgyrl is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition key stolen!1994 blazer4x4

HI everyone! This is my first posting .

So my ignition key was stolen along with the purse it was in. Not very nice.Anyhoo, how do I get a duplicate without having to call for locksmith to come out? I’m on a fixed income and with the business all closed I can’t find one that isn’t charging double or more but say it’s the regular rates they’ve always had to come out.

1994 blazer 4x4 has been sitting on a friend’s property and I HAVE to move it . Got new battery cables and battery put in it . Couldn’t hear fuel pump and it turns over but won’t start.

Now I can’t fix it or anything without the key.
is there any kinda code or something I can get off the ignition to have a key made ? I mean the Locksmith’s figure It out somehow right?
idk ..... ????any suggestions??

Thanks !

Old 04-05-2020, 02:46 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road
Old 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Billy1820
gunna check it out now-Thanks!

Old 04-05-2020, 03:05 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Just for kicks, you should also search it for a hide-a-key that you or a previous owner may have forgotten about. You'd be amazed how many used vehicles I've bought that had keys hidden under them somewhere.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:18 PM

Think I’m just gunna take the lock cylinder out and take it somewhere to have a key made.

im having a hard time finding any repair manual info to download . Went to auto zone website but didn’t have or allow me access to info I need....

I’m in a rural part of SW Washington state and it’s getting pretty crazy round here. Nobody I know has been effected by the Coronavirus thank goodness! but I’m sure it won’t be long before start hearing about someone’s friends aunts coworker who got it etc. so then when I go out of course I will be wearing face mask and latex gloves armed with spray on hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes to use on anything I have to come in contact with whilst practicing social distancing .
BE SAFE EVERYONE!!👍😁

Old 04-06-2020, 06:41 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Can't she also start it with a paperclip at the relay?

Old 04-06-2020, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 93s10tahoelt
can't she also start it with a paperclip at the relay?
lolll

Old 04-07-2020, 12:47 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Billy1820
lolll
I'm sayin.. I'm trying to be helpful lol. okay she doesn't have a Toyota Camry but if she can find that relay on her S-10.. ?

It sounds like she has access to the inside, not like keys locked in there etc, which is a whole different problem.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 93S10TahoeLT
I'm sayin.. I'm trying to be helpful lol. okay she doesn't have a Toyota Camry but if she can find that relay on her S-10.. ?

https://youtu.be/Rt1nC1fU70g

It sounds like she has access to the inside, not like keys locked in there etc, which is a whole different problem.
LOLLLL. x2

Edit: PS, I’m not trying to be mean, and I know you’re trying to help. Granted, I realize there are a lot of young or inexperienced people who visit this forum who know very little about GM ignitions and electronics, but PLEASE do your homework before posting up something like this. 5 minutes worth of research on google will tell you why this will not work

Last edited by Billy1820; 04-07-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:03 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I would also turn the Blazer inside out and look for the second set of keys, including the sun blinds and all the pockets.
As it is not unusual that a car is sold without the spare keys, it might still be with the previous owner. I'd also try that route.

Something else, the ignition key on the 94 is fortunately/unfortunately the only different lock cylinder. As long as it has no aftermarket theft protection linked to the key it would imply mechanical removal of the lock or what sometimes works, use another key that fits and wiggle (rattle/vibrate) to the RUN position. Then the lock cylinder could be removed. Hmm - best were a car thief.

Makes me think - do you have the door keys? 94's had different keys for the 2 front doors and the trunk and a separate for the ignition. If all keys have been stolen you would also need door keys.

The lock cylinders are mad in such a way that you can only "remove" them with the proper key. That said, without the key you need to turn the cylinder (braking the lock) or use a bump key. Still some major fumbling. Going by VIN would be the easiest way and hope for the previous owners not to have swapped in a different set of locks. I'm not sure if for the 94's you can order keys based on the VIN, but only on the key number. Which leads me to another place where to look for that. If you have all the manuals and booklets, go through them. Sometimes dealerships record the key number somewhere in the booklet.

Last edited by error_401; 04-10-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Ignition key stolen!1994 blazer4x4