1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

interior lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 PM
papabears93 is on a distinguished road
Default interior lights not working

Hey guys, i have a weird question here. I have a 1993 s10 blazer lt tahoe. The interior lites don't come on with any of the doors open or with the dimmer switch. The horn still works and the map lites on my rear view mirrior still come on when you open the doors, just not any of the other lites. Any ideas??? Thanks

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad bulbs?? Have you tried swapping them out for new ones?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 AM

No not yet, but I will try that, thanks. The weird thing is that one minute they were all working and the next... Can they all go out at the same time? Or is there a fuse that I am missing?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Does your lighter have power to it?
Dies your glove box light work?
Do you have vanity lights and if so do they work?
Have you tried the rear dome light switch on the light?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

sounds to me if they all went out at the same time your fuse probably went bad

Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Mine ended up being the wire. It runs under the carpet on the driverside and after years it just got cut.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Probably not the fuse here. He said his map lights on the mirror come on and the horn works. They are on the same circuit. Horn/DM fuse 20 amp. The door jamb switches are working because they supply a second ground to the light circuit when you open the doors. Looks like bulbs but if I could get a couple of answers to my questions it would narrow it down. Asked about the lighter because it's also on the same circuit.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply. I ran 12 volts to the orange wire going to my overhead console and the lights will come on but they will not turn off with the door closed. So I know all the lights are good. Oh i forgot to add that my mirror lights the same night now will not turn off at all. I had to unplug the harness from behind the mirror. The glove box light and the cig lighter still work also. This problem is driving me nuts to find, LOL. The rear light switch now does nothing.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:45 AM

papabears93
I have a factory wiring diagram (for a 94 - believe they are the same as far as I can tell) and will look at it and let you know what I think. It's a lot more detailed than a Chilton. I see where you could go nuts over this seeing how some lights on the circuit work and some don't. Please stay tuned. Actually the overhead console isn't shown on the W/D in the book (it does tell you it isn't). May have a few more questions for you soon.
One thing about the door jamb switches people don't underwstand is that they are just ground pathways for the lights.
Do you have a meter to check for voltage and continuity available? A test light will work for voltage.
One thing you might check. Do you have 12 volts to the front two lights that shine on the floor? If so ensure the two bulbs are good (continuity through the bulb verified with the meter or just hit them with 12 volts and ground) and then try this test. On your panel dimmer switch you have a white wire and a black wire on the connector as well as other wires. Try either jumping these two (white & black) or just grounding the white wire. This checks the dimmer switch courtesy light function (not the dimmer part). If the two lights (mentioned previously) come on then part of your problem is a faulty dimmer switch. If they don't work by jumpimg the rwo wires then definately ground the white wire. This will tell you if you have a bad ground coming off the switch if the lights come on.
It kind of looks like you may have a grounding problem that I'm trying to determine and run down. Have you checked all interior lights for voltage? The way the circuit is laid out is that 12 volts comes into the light socket then through the bulb and hits the switch. When you engage the switch the electricity then flows through it to ground and lights the light.
Don't want to give you information overload but this may help you out. If you have any questions, please ask.
Please let me know the results of your checks.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 02-27-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling & added info
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks gimpy blazer, you have been alot of help. I am going out to check the wiring on the dimmer switch now. Let you know how that turns out. Oh and the two lights that shine in the floor, they have constant power as well as the map lights, so i had to take them out too. Hope this helps. Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: interior lights not working