Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/)
-   -   Junkyard ECM? Anyone done this? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-generation-s-series-1983-1994-tech-40/junkyard-ecm-anyone-done-82204/)

cas 10-19-2013 09:49 AM

Junkyard ECM? Anyone done this?

(skip down)

Since I've about run out of things to change trying to fix my problem, I'm looking at swapping the ECM. New ones are of course expensive and "require local programing" or whatever the heck it says.

Looking on Ebay I see salvage one running between $40-$60. My question is has anyone gone this route?

Is it a "plug and play" type thing, or will I still need to get it setup by someone (whom I wouldn't know)?

Like many things, they show compatibility charts for this year/model through those years/models. Will any of those work, or do I need one that came from/programed for a "94 S10 W vin, 2dr, 4WD"?

Anyone got some input?

Edit to add: Okay, after some more research I found my answer. :( If I go this route, can anyone recommend a place to send it?

cas 10-26-2013 01:13 PM

Oooookay, now I'm really scratching my head. The computer in my truck looks nothing like what I'm seeing it's supposed to. Everything I see online shows it as a large metal box with two plugs. My truck has a small/medium sized metal box, with a smaller box piggybacked onto that. Two plugs on the larger, one on the smaller.

Anyone know more about this than the almost nothing I do?

abig84 10-26-2013 02:04 PM

i know on the older trucks you were able to swap out computers. my 1990 c1500 with a 305 has a computer out of a 89 k30 with a 350 and works fine. but try to find the closest to your year as you can

cas 10-26-2013 03:58 PM

Searching more online I see examples that look closer to what I have and the other small box makes sense now at least. Maybe it's an optical illusion but the main ecu looks about 3/4 the size I was expecting, 3/4 the size of what I have to replace it with. The mountings aren't even close.

I can't figure out how to get the damn thing down!!1

cas 10-26-2013 05:22 PM

Well I figured it out and it was an optical illusion. It's the same size as what I have on hand.

If I'll ever get it back up in there on the other hand…. lol

Bernard 02-04-2014 04:08 PM

Hello Cas.Hope all is Going well with your Blazer.You know its Better go new than used.you just dont know if thers any problems to come.

cas 03-16-2014 05:22 PM

Touching base back on this one… that wasn't it, so I'm glad I didn't spring for a new one.

So I have both a used working ECM and EPROM if anyone's looking to buy. :D

Does this forum have a classifieds, I've never bothered to look? I've got a whole box of parts that I won't need at some point (when this thing finally gives up the ghost, or I just get tired of fixing it. Which I came close on today.)

NCSurvival 04-01-2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by cas (Post 621873)
So I have both a used working ECM and EPROM if anyone's looking to buy. :D

May want to hold on to it, JUST IN CASE.

cas 04-02-2014 08:40 AM

Mmm.... Since the truck is probably a 3 x 3 foot cube right now, I probably won't need it.