1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

My 1993 Chevy Blazer S-10 Gages dont work

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Beginning Member
Falconator is on a distinguished road
Default My 1993 Chevy Blazer S-10 Gages dont work

Hey hope you guys can help me out my 1993 chevy blazer S-10 4x4 seems to have no power to fuse box. Battery not charging ( had alternator check at advance auto pass all test) Bought a test light check the service ports on both sides of various fuses test light didnot light up car running straight off battery and the strangest thing when the car is running and I turn on the headlights I get that lights on warning noise like you get when you forget to turn off the lights and I also used thr test light to check battery cable from alt to battery

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

got to start with the simple stuff... you sure the test light is good? touch it directly to pos/neg on your battery. does anything else work in the cab? interior lights, radio?

you said the headlights work, so you must be getting some kinda power. on my 93 i keep blowing a fuse that kills the alternator and the gauges for some reason. forgot which one it is.

im more used to working on fullsize blazers. theres usually one red wire that you can trace all the way from the battery to the fuse box and it has a fuseable link in it. you can check for that.

edit... also you said your geting that buzzing sound when you turn on the lights. sounds like its feeding back. might be a ground issue too. if none of the above stuff works, try making sure all your grounds are there and intact. body to engine, engine to frame, etc

Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Beginning Member

Yes test light works headlights, radio, interior lights works fine just no check engine light so cant read codes also temp fuel and charge gauges not working

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I didnt have a good ground connection at first now I do. Every fuse check out Except for 3. The Instument Pannel fuse the other 2 are silver (not) transparent they are 30 amp/12 volt fuses silver metalic So im thinking the are not related. Check on auto zone .com It stated that If I remove the fuse (5 amp ) and (test light) both sides and I get no light the circuit is broken or shutoff well.. thats the case Any ideas on how to proceed from here

Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Falconator
Yes test light works headlights, radio, interior lights works fine just no check engine light so cant read codes also temp fuel and charge gauges not working
that sounds just like mine. my truck is away in storage so i cant look at the exact fuse that kept blowing on mine. i think it said gauges or instrument cluster. something along those lines. thats about all the help im gonna be

Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you shouldn't get power on both sides of the circuit (at the fuse), that kinda defeats the purpose of having a fuse. the "silver" fuses are like the old "slow blow" fuses in your house (like a short term circuit breaker). if these are the circuits that are causing havock, then use a regular fuse to try and diagnose where the problem might be.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I checked another circuit lets say the wiper fuse circuit ( as a point of ref) right side (testlight glows) Left side (testlight dont) so maybe that lends a little credence to circuit is shut off or broken. So trying to track the break or shut off I though that I should check the Alt pigtail connector so I (Testlight) tested it and no light (key in on pos) also I (Testlight) tested another pigtail connector connector pass so am I heading in the right direction and if so is there a way to bypass just to see if the bottom Insturments Lights and gauges come on

Old 09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

wait a minute brother, your (lack of proper) punctuation is making it a little hard to follow. you tested the alternator (the lug on the back of it?) and found your light didn't come on? but when you checked another circuit, it did?
the alt will have power at all times-it's what feeds the whole truck. the biggest (and easiest to over look) problem, is making sure the ground clamp is really well and grounded. always try to check for power on something that you know will have power, before trying to trace a fault (like the "hot" side of your brake light switch).

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Beginning Member

First I took the alternator to an advance auto, it passed all test. Then I put it back on, put the test light on the lug I got a light. Ok then I tested the pigtail connector got no light. Tested insturment panel fuse no light on both sides. Then I took the fuse out tested the circuit no light on both sides. Visusal checking of the fuse shows no break. Check all fuses on both sides and I get a light with the exception of the insturment panel fuse and the silver metalic circuit breaker fuses

Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
BF Guru

it almost sounds like you have a short behind the fuse panel, or the wire that directly feeds that circuit.

Quick Reply: My 1993 Chevy Blazer S-10 Gages dont work