1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Nbkornmann@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

So where to start. everything i have done makes my problem worse. I have a 1989 s10 blazer 4.3. It was dying when idling so i changed spark plugs n wires n distributor cap and rotor and fuel filter. starts up but when idling or if at stop light have to stay on gas to keep going. couldnt even make it at gas station to pump gas without dying. When it dies it wont start up for an hour or more, but when wait it starts up right away. When running runs good. was still having problems after changing those things so changed gas tank and fuel pump. Now its worse and dies out of no where. Will be driving down road and it just shuts off. When idling i can barely feel a hickup or brief loss of power or something n shortly after it will die then wont start up for hour or more. If doesnt die n i shut it off it will start back up more than not. have no ideas now after changing gas tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, high pressure oil lines. The oil lines were leaking so changed them from filter to cooler or underside of engine. If anyone has any suggestions i need it. Cant make it back and forth to work and will try anything. Thanks

oh and if anyone knows i cant get tank straps on got new ones and they look like straps for the top and not the bottom couldnt get them to work or fit. I got spectra tank and straps and looked at others and they look like same. Had to use old ones and they r junk and bout to fall apart.

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-11-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 PM

seeming to not get spark and is draining battery fast now. Tried putting screwdriver in spark plug wire and starting and got no spark when tried to ground it and touched screwdriver metal and didnt get shocked. I need to know what wire goes to engine coolant sensor too. Was never hooked up and theres a darker green wire that looks like it goes to it but not sure.

i have been told maybe a coil pack or something is this the distributor coil by ignition module or something else is it what the distributor cap connnects to by short wire. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-17-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nbkornmann@yahoo.com
seeming to not get spark and is draining battery fast now. Tried putting screwdriver in spark plug wire and starting and got no spark when tried to ground it and touched screwdriver metal and didnt get shocked. I need to know what wire goes to engine coolant sensor too. Was never hooked up and theres a darker green wire that looks like it goes to it but not sure.

i have been told maybe a coil pack or something is this the distributor coil by ignition module or something else is it what the distributor cap connnects to by short wire. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
You mentioned the coolant temperature sensor, just recently I found out my 92 S10 would not start with the coolant temperature sensor disconnected.

For a moment when it would not start I thought something bad had gone wrong. Remembering I had it unhooked, I hooked it back up and it started. Until I hooked it back up it sounded as if it had no fire going to the plugs.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You gotta get them engine codes that Im sure would have been triggered and post them up for us. If you have no codes, then I would look toward a fuel delivery issue. Whats the oil smell like? Oil or gas?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Question

so i have it at least running now. I degreased the engine and changed the serpentine belt and ignition module actually runs now. went to get codes read at auto zone said only had number 12 or 13 which meant in diagnostic mode. Since running have new one . looked in valve cover through oil cap and pcv valve and the oill is gunky all stuck together and clumpy. changed oil month ago shouldn't be that way especially since having problems with everything havnt drove that much. Thinking maybe gas or some other fluid in it but doesnt know what that means or where to start to fix problem. Was gonna take em off and clean it out but without knowing what problem is not really gonna make a difference probably just end up same way. If any suggestions help is always appreciated. And another thing my coolant sensor wire is old and torn to hell is this something i can replace rewire on my own its tore on end close to sensor dont know how hard to rewire or maybe splice new wire onto old one farther back on it or if just need to take it somewhere and have them run a new one.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Coolant temp sensor wire is green. If you want the factory look, get a manual that gives you the part number of the connectors and run a search on the web with the number. If you don't care, hit the junkyard. You might have a vacuum leak. I would Sea Foam the engine and change the oil shortly after that for the gunk (if it really is that bad). If you need the proper connector this should get you headed in the right direction. There are a bunch like this around.
http://repairconnector.com/

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-23-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

so i have it at least running now. I degreased the engine and changed the serpentine belt and ignition module actually runs now. went to get codes read at auto zone said only had number 12 or 13 which meant in diagnostic mode. Since running have new one . looked in valve cover through oil cap and pcv valve and the oill is gunky all stuck together and clumpy. changed oil month ago shouldn't be that way especially since having problems with everything havnt drove that much. Thinking maybe gas or some other fluid in it but doesnt know what that means or where to start to fix problem. Was gonna take em off and clean it out but without knowing what problem is not really gonna make a difference probably just end up same way. If any suggestions help is always appreciated. And another thing my coolant sensor wire is old and torn to hell is this something i can replace rewire on my own its tore on end close to sensor dont know how hard to rewire or maybe splice new wire onto old one farther back on it or if just need to take it somewhere and have them run a new one.
Do you change your on oil or get it changed at one of those 'quick lubes?' Some of those 'quick lubes' do not use good oil, nor the proper oil for the engine. They use cheap oil at times in order to have more profits.

I was getting mine changed at such a place and all of a sudden I had a lifter sticking very bad. I changed my own oil replacing one quart with a quart of Rislone.

Rislone is one of the very few additives that will do what it claims it will, most additive are a waste of your money.

Within 100 miles it no longer got stuck, at 200 miles I changed it once again, them at 500 miles again. My motor sounds better than it has in a while.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Beginning Member
Peel01 is on a distinguished road

looked in valve cover through oil cap and pcv valve and the oill is gunky all stuck together and clumpy. changed oil month ago shouldn't be that way especially since having problems with everything havnt drove that much.
Not a 100% sure but sounds like your getting coolant in your oil. How your coolant levels and color.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM

i checked codes for a to b terminal and came back with 1 pause 3. Which if im right is a throttle position sensor or oxygen sensor. This is after got it running before it had no codes. I changed oil myself also used castrol gtx high mileage. And not sure about the coolant have seen dirty stuff in bottom of resevoir but its old and wasnt used before i got it for awhile the last owner said. I will check it out it has seemed like it may have dropped in level but wasnt sure cause i saw it overflowing once out of resevoir and changed coolant temp sensor and some spilled out and had to add more. My wire is shot for the sensor though and need to replace or repair not sure what that gonna take. Have heard that it not being hooked up could cause problems. not sure if that applies to my year or not.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM

i would flush the radiator and see and be out working on it and trying things but im in indiana and live in an apartment. Its cold so i look and research and spend the hours outside fixing when i feel i have narrowed it down. I also think i have a clog where the pcv valve tubing goes into the carburator or air housing unit. I tried to clean it out it seems all gunked up and hard gunk. Have tried to even screw a screw into it and pull out little bit of gunk at a time its hard and my screwdriver was to long to fit. still in process of trying to get it unclogged and cleaned. Thanks for the help and suggestions every little thing helps.

Quick Reply: Need help!!!