1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

No Spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: No Spark

I do not think you do not need to pull the distributor to change the ICM (pick up coil - same thing).

Old 01-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

No the ICM can be changed easily by pulling the cap off. The pick up coil apparently you need to pull the distributor and take it apart. That's what the Haynes book said at least.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Strange.. When I was looking into this, there was no mention of a pick up coil separate from the ICM... Figures now that my laptop video card has screwed up I'd have to get back onto it to look at things again...

Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
OGER is an unknown quantity at this point

To change the ignition coil is easy.
But I don't know how to get out the pick up coil,
It is under a small plastic cap and I cant take off the cap

Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member

the pick up coil is under the distributor rotor (over the ignition modul)

Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Beginning Member

It looks like this

Old 01-13-2008, 02:19 PM

I don't really remember what was all involved in changing the pick up coil, that's why I just swapped out the whole distributor. I would say it was probably the ICM anyways, but for I think about $140 it was worth it for a new unit.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member

140$ is a nice price for a complete distributor.
I payed 110$ only for the ignition modul, and an original from GM is the double price.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Geez, where does it have to come in from and how long does it take? I could have bought one here and shipped it to you for well under half that.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

The problem is that american chevrolets are not common here in germany, and when I order a spare part from a german part store they take a lot of money for this. But they deliver in 2 days when they have the part in stok.
When I need more parts I order from summit, it is fast to but they ad 30$ for coustumer that are not from the US and the transport was betwen 200$ and 250$.
Marine parts are more bad, when I need parts for my mercruiser and have to buy them in germany it is really expensive.
But I don't know a spare part supplier for marine parts in the US that delivers to germany.

Quick Reply: No Spark