1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Beginning Member
bikernutgoofy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noise behind dash

our 1992 S10 Blazer 4x4 4 dr has this clicking noise in the dash behind or around the speedometer and gauges. the noise starts and then the oil pressure gauge starts jumping around but the rest of the gauges are acting normal. I can stop this noise when parked by just starting to move the shift lever into reverse but it comes back in a bit. this noise just doesn't happen in park as it comes and goes while moving at speed. comes and goes, vehicle has 134,000 miles and a lot of life left in it yet I hope, purchased it new. any one have this happen to them or hear of a similar problem, I would love to know what is happening before it destroys anything in the dash or printed circuit. thanks

Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Never had that problem with my 92 S10 2 door 4 X 4 4.3 W engine bought new in 92 now with a bit over 160,000.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

You know, there was a noise in my dash lately, but thats because my speedometer cable is frozen. It has been getting down to 0*F here in Omaha. The noise goes away after the cab heats up, about 20 minutes. It was so loud that when I was trying to figure it out I thought my boot on my front drivers side shaft had come apart.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

burning: his has an electronic speedo. no cable to freeze.

The oil pressure gauge jumping around... is the clicking sound louder or quieter than the turn signal click?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 AM
Beginning Member

sound about the same but it is faster, way faster then the turn signal, almost sound like something is rubbing or the plastic dash is moving or rubbing something.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My oil pressure gauge starting acting erractic and I replaced it with one I pulled from the junkyard. The gauge has an elcectric motor or device that drives the needle and that could be your source of noise. If you pull the dash cluster to replace the gauge do not do what i did. I had no problem pulling the cluster in the junkyard, no problem removing the oil pressure gage, no problem pulling my cluster, no problem removing the original oil pressure gauge but when I went to install the junkyard gauge there is 3 plastic studs and speed nuts. In two seconds flat I over tightned the speed nuts and broke two of the plastic studs. I then had to hunt for a undamaged dash cluster in the junkyard. I was using a nut driver and you need to have a very light touch when replacing any of the gauges in the dash cluster.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

you could be having 2 problems here, but I'd replace the oil pressure gauge first. And yeah, like vls said, be VERY gentle when you're retightening things. I wish GM had done the right thing and used real nuts, but they used those cheap lightweight sheet metal pressed things that act like nuts. They suck and they break way easily.

Last edited by theonetruetom; 02-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

what are we talking for time here, but I would be getting a new oil gauge from GM as I have a discount and I have had bad luck with used parts so I go new when ever possible and make sure they are not made in China.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Being very carfull you can remove the cluster in about 30 min and remove and install the gauge in about 5 min. Re-install cluster in about 30 min. The hardest time I had during installation was with the Heater control sliders and getting them in position correctly. (Besides breaking the plastic studs.) Be very carful. Do a internet search on S10 Dash Cluster and you will find some good write ups. That is what i did but I do not remember any of the links. I did this about 3 months ago. The dash cluster just pulls out of the dash once the mounting bolts are removed. I can not emphasize enough how easy it is to break the plasic mounting studs for the gauges. The mounting nuts for the cluster are behind the heater controls and behind the light switch. The faceplate for the heater control needs to be removed to get the dash cluster off.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

went to local GM stealer today and found out they only sell the whole dsah cluster as a unit for a bit over $200, can't just get the oil pressure gauge, going to see what I can find local in salvage yards and then Ebay.

Quick Reply: noise behind dash