1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Not getting fuel

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member
andrew_as is on a distinguished road
Default Not getting fuel

Ok so today i hooked up a trailer harness to my 1987 s10. I havent had a battery in it for a few days so today i put one in and tried to start it. I hooked the pos wire from alt to pos side of battery and pos from starter i accidently hooked to neg on battery and tried to start. it would just click. i then figured out my mistake and fliped them both to the positive and hooked my neg wire up right. now when i try to start it just cranks. its not getting gas. so i dumped gas in carb and it will start. checked all the fuses under the dash and they are all good. Any ideas? im pretty sure the fuel pump didnt go out. Didnt know if someone else might have an idea i havent thought of! Thanks in advanced for any help!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member

im also not getting power to my cd player. i took it out and im not getting power to the constant power wire thats yellow. i did have a blown fuse on the cd player that i replaced.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Beginning Member

ok another update. so my ecm b fuse was blown along with the fuse behind the cd player. I replaced them both and still nothin. when i put the ecm b fuse back in i did get a spark but the fuse did not blow again

Old 04-14-2010, 10:26 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

OK, to test your fuel pump you will find a lone female connector about the size of a cigarette butt on the drivers side near your brake fluid resevoir. Just run yourself a HOT 12V lead from your battery (+) to this plug and listen for your electric pump to come alive. You should be able to start the truck with the jumper wire in place. This plug bypasses the fuel pump relay. If you get the pump running with this jumper, then you will want to have a look at the fuel pump relay or fues for being pooched. If you can get your hands on a fuel pressure guage and hook it up to the test port on the drivers rear of the manifold, then you dont need to listen for the pump, you can just watch the guage. Dont go driving around with the jumper wire on there cause its going to run your pump till you remove the wire or the battery dies. This is for test purpose only.

Im thinking you probably cooked the relay or fuselinks when you hooked the battery up backwards.

Are you hooking up the battery with your key turned on?!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member

ok i will check that in the morning. i traced wires from pump to where they go into the fire wall. i must of missed the connector. ill give it a look tomorrow! still open to more options to check in the morning!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member

so i tested that wire and nothin happened. The 2 wires i traced from the tank go straight into the firewall into the fuse panel. the one with the connector im not sure where it goes. it isnt one of the ones coming from the tank. is that right?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That wire should go directly to the pump.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member

ok so i just ran a wire from battery to the plug at the pump and the pump runs strong! another guy told me i might of blew my ecm. anyone think that is probably the problem? i dont want to buy a 90 dollar part and that not be it!

EDIT: i just ran a hot line to pump and tried to start it. Still not getting fuel out the injectors. All fuses are still good checked while still in for power and took them all out and tested for continuity. This leads me more to beleiving that it is the ecm fried because the injectors are not opening to let the gas in. Im no expert on this kind of motor so i guess its time to rip the dash apart to change the ecm? Opinions?

Last edited by andrew_as; 04-15-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
Corrupt is on a distinguished road

Have you checked for power at the injectors? Sounds about right though. If your not getting power at the injectors you may have fried the ECM.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member

Im not sure which wires to test at the injectors. is one positive and other negative?

Quick Reply: Not getting fuel