1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Thebeast92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil.

It's that time again. The 3,000 mile mark has approached. I'm just wondering what oil all of you use. Also, if you use some type of stabilizer with the oil. I know there's a few out there like Lucas oil stabilizer. I'm wondering if it's just a hoax or if it really does work, or if I should waste my time and money with it.

I've had the truck for about a year and four months and I've always put in half synthetic half oil in it. I also use 10w as well.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Oil.

castrol gtx 5w30 with a purolator pureone oil filter (about 109k on the motor).

why waste your money on oil stabilizer when these motors can easily go 200+k miles with regular maintenance?

Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use anytype of 5w30 but in Full Synthetic. Castrol, Mobil 1,......Works great for me[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 11-06-2006, 06:23 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

i found that mobil clean 7500 10w-30 works best especially with higher mileage engines, but u might also want to increase the viscosity depending on your press and if u have any leaks. plus stay away from all additives they tend to release some of the sludge that has deposited on ur pan and that will lead to worst problems. if anything at all change ur fluid more often, if ur truck is ur baby and it is to me, would u let ur baby sit in dirty diapers for too long???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

92 s10 4.3 262 tbi 4x4 700r4
99 s10 2.2 134 L4

[IMG]local://upfiles/4216/60B8438113A347A4882B7B1A62BF65FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobil 1 5w30 and purolator pureone filter....good stuff...I'm hearing additives such as Lucas make your oil sortof foam.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
RQuickDraw is on a distinguished road

I've always used Mobil 1 5w30 in my Jimmy from the very first oil change. I drive a combination of city/ highway driving and change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles. No need to waste your money on additives. Never had any problems.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

Valvoline Durablend 5W30. My cousin went to aeronautic school to receive his FAA license for airline mechanics. In one of his labs they tested viscosity, lubrication properties, and other factors of various leading motor oils. Valvoline came out #1. Granted, not exactly the most scientific of studies I'm sure, but we've both been using that oil in our vehicles for years now and have no major engine troubles.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Really, it doesn't matter. Especially if you are going to change the oil every 3k miles. I use Mobil 1 5w30 engine oil in my Bravada and Mobil 1 10w30 in my Bonneville. I change the oil in my Bravada every ~5k miles. My Bonneville has an oil life monitor and I change the oil in that when the OLM gets down to 15-20% life remaining. When I had longer commutes, that was around 8-9k miles. Now that I have shorter commutes, that is down to around 5-6k miles due to the lack of time at full operating temperatures (one of the factors the computer uses to determine the life expended while operating).

Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
vtboss54 is an unknown quantity at this point

if i wanted to change over from a synthetic blend oil over to a full synthetic would i have to do anything special before hand? and say once i switched over to full synthetic would it be harmful to my blazer if i switched back to a synthetic blend???

Old 07-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: vtboss54

if i wanted to change over from a synthetic blend oil over to a full synthetic would i have to do anything special before hand? and say once i switched over to full synthetic would it be harmful to my blazer if i switched back to a synthetic blend???
You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Quick Reply: Oil.