1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

oil change transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member
deadeyeden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil change transfer case

Found the problem with the 4 wheel drive not engaging.Needed to replace the T.C.C.M. I tapped on it with a hammer and it started to work but not properly.Thank you for the help in pointing me in the right direction,greatly appreciated.Now i have a new question.Iwant to change the oil in the transfer case but i cant seem to locate the fill hole.I am pretty sure i found the drain plug. I there anyone who would know where to locate the fill hole.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: oil change transfer case

ORIGINAL: deadeyeden

Found the problem with the 4 wheel drive not engaging.Needed to replace the T.C.C.M. I tapped on it with a hammer and it started to work but not properly.Thank you for the help in pointing me in the right direction,greatly appreciated.Now i have a new question.Iwant to change the oil in the transfer case but i cant seem to locate the fill hole.I am pretty sure i found the drain plug. I there anyone who would know where to locate the fill hole.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what year your blazer is, but on my '98 the fill hole on the t-case is above the drain hole (if my memory serves me right). I had to check to see if my t-case was overfilled with tranny fluid because of a bad input seal.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:07 PM
obso is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah its about 4" above the drain hole on my 95. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain it and then find out the fill plug is rusted in there.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it'll be just above the drain plug.

*EDIT* - THIS POST shows a non-oriented view of the back of the transfer case. The vertical orientation would be from the center of the picture towards the upper right corner. The drain and fill plugs are practically aligned vertically. The drain being the plug to the lower left and the fill being in the center of the picture.

Crap... Didn't see your reply when I editted this (had it open too long I guess).

Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the info greatly appreciated

Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hit reply a long while ago then got caught on a conference call. See my edit above.