1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

oil leak dipstick cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
fruggy is on a distinguished road
Default oil leak dipstick cracked?

Hello I have recently developed a problem. truck is a 94 s-10 blazer 4. vortec. has 160k. never leaked a drop of oil until recently I was driving and smelt something burning. looked under the hood and saw oil spray on the passenger side of engine. It is wet underneath all on the passenger side and trails to the bottom of the oil pan near the drain plug. I think its the dipstick? Its not coming from valve cover. Its not wet on top at all. I can only think of it being the dipstick. It seems like it sprays its wet on the frame of the passenger side of motor and some sprays on the middle part of the exhaust manifold. even gets on the middle spark plug wire I can see it smoke.Also looked through the wheel and lifted the rubber guard and was all wet right near where the dipstick goes in and all on that side.I dont think it would be oil pan gasket cause it seems to spray. It just makes sense it would be the dipstick.any other ideas? thank you. oh and if you think it is the dipstick how hard is it to change? thanks in advance.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

bump...please help

Old 04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Doesn't sound like it would be the dipstick. Just like the oilpan its not under presure. Is the oil sending unit on that side or any other hoses/ sensors?

Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
Doesn't sound like it would be the dipstick. Just like the oilpan its not under presure. Is the oil sending unit on that side or any other hoses/ sensors?
Not that I know of. The oil sending unit is more in the middle and the lines go to the other side of the motor (not where its leaking from).and the oil sending unit looked clean when I checked. Its hard to tell cause it doesnt leak when its just idling, i have gotten under and checked and dont see anything. I cleaned all the oil off too and tried watching but it only does it when driving.so idk... thanks for the reply. any more ideas?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the PCV system (and vent) working properly? If it isn't, you could get oil pushing past the dip stick tube in the block.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Is the PCV system (and vent) working properly? If it isn't, you could get oil pushing past the dip stick tube in the block.
well actually the valve cover without the oridinal pcv valve the one that had just a hose going out if it broke, so I just put another pcv valve on it. Would that have anything to do with it? I believe both pcv valves are good they both shake. I was told thats how you tell. thanks

Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So you do not have a fresh air make up attached to the system (the hose that runs from the intake duct on top of the throttle body to the valve cover)?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Beginning Member

So you do not have a fresh air make up attached to the system (the hose that runs from the intake duct on top of the throttle body to the valve cover)?
no I have that. I meant the other side of my valve cover just has another pcv valve as well. I see on my other valve cover my pcv valve has a hose that runs into my intake under the top cover that says vortec on it. I always had that setup, but on the other side I just had a hose that was maybe 8 inces long and went no where. when I was changing my spark plugs it broke off along with the gromment, so I bought a new grommet and just put another pcv valve on it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Maybe a picture of what you have is in order.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

Maybe a picture of what you have is in order.
ok will do. All I have is my camera on my phone but its a pretty good one. Ill try and show where its wet from the oil leak as well

Quick Reply: oil leak dipstick cracked?