1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

OMG that NO-SMOKE just killed my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 PM
laurstevechar721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: OMG that NO-SMOKE just killed my truck

its pure white, I know before this started It blew blue smoke because of a bad value

Old 11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

any chance the valve is completely toast, fell off/broke apart and got tossed around the head? any upper end ticking or other noise, or just bottom end knocking? (use a big screwdriver, or CAREFULLY use an actual stethoscope, to isolate the source of noises.)

Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 PM

sounds like knocking on the passenager side cyl head, i had head gaskets go before due to connection rod bearings, and the sound it makes is like a tin can sound.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

does it sound like it's IN the head? then your valve probably died and chewed up the head. but make sure you isolate the source of the noise use a metal rod with a handle, a screwdriver, just like you would a stethoscope put a metal end to an engine part, put the handle up to your ear.

valve tick and bottom end ticks can sound similar. not all ticks sound the same even on the same vehicle for the same part the actual sound is determined by the wear pattern on the part(s) that is/are ticking.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:02 PM

well I jsut went out and started it again and it stalled and has an uneven idle, it didnt smoke and no water or coolent out the exhaust, for my sake, im gonna drain the oil and let it drain for 2 hours, remove the gunk i just put in and put back in 5w-30 hoping it will relieve the tentsion and MAYBE stop knocking before its really to late

Old 11-14-2008, 06:07 PM

also why is the OBD giving me A 32 code(EGR) instead on a knock sensor code, plus the rough idle, I mean ive have vehicles that had a blown head and still idle normal it was a ford ecsort it blew white smoke in 120degree weather and it ran fine until the head COMPLETELY went and filled the engine with water, then it died

Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

well don't let that happen to your blazer. do what they're suggesting and find the source of the knock. or find someone who would be good at it to do it and get it done. then start tearing appart. if worse comes to worse you can replace/ rebuild an engine for under a grand. which is much cheaper than running it until it dies

Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM

ok great news.... I removed the oil put in fresh oil and re timed the vehicle and wow its fixed, Im guessing the knocking came from the timing issue and tripped a 32 code, no problems at all, im so freakin lucky anyways thanks all for help

Old 11-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Do you actually have 200k miles w/o rebuild or new. A lot of people would be happy to make that mile mark. Even though it is easily achievable with thorough maintenance.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:37 AM

Hey it has 200k I used to commuite 70 miles to work and back but I always kept up on my oil changes plus when I bought the truck I installed a new water pump,rad, Hyper tech thremo 160, and just was always taking care of it. The truck is running really good right now, no more knocking, the knocking could have been spark knock because the timing was off.

Quick Reply: OMG that NO-SMOKE just killed my truck