1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Starting Member
ffox is on a distinguished road

no I didn't mess with the FPR, i shouldn't have too. should I?
Shouldn't have to keep taking things back because they're defective, or they give you the wrong part either, but it happens all the time..NEVER assume..

Do you have the plenum back on it? If you do you will have to take it back off..Always test it before you put it back together..You don't have to take the FPR off to adjust it. The screw in the end is the adjustment. Turn it counter clockwise to lower the pressure, a very small turn. Now turn the ignition til the pump runs (approx. 2 seconds) check your pressure gauge. Keep doing this til you get about 60 to 65 pounds..

If there's a blockage it's probably right there. The return is just a line right back to the tank no filters or anything that should be blocking it, unless it got smashed or damaged some way..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your pump is capable of 90-100psi dead headed, the pump is working properly. Hopefully the high pressure doesn't damage something else.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
michaelk is on a distinguished road

Hello

Update, So this morning took the plenom off and adjusted the FPR to 60psi. put it all back together and started it and it was slightly higher around 64psi, should I take it apart and lower it some more?

I then took it for a test drive and after it warmed up I was approching a red light and it started to sputter again and it died, I did get it to fire up again and had to keep it reving when I was stopped (red lights) so that it wouldn't die. Got it home and put the fuel pressure gauge on it and now it says it is 64psi to 74psi, the needle jumps around like crazy. Also it holds the psi better (50psi) for about 5 mins before dropping off.

I am going to replace the fuel pump tomorrow, however the kit isn't a direct replacement it only does the pump and a few other parts, it doesn't replace the strainer and metal bracket. How important are they to replace? Should I also replace the fuel filter after I have put the new pump in?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The pressure dropping off is a sign of a leak, but until you confirm the location of the leak, I wouldn't go replacing the pump. To trace down the source of the leak, adapt your fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line connection at the fuel filter. If the pressure bleed down is still present at the fuel filter connection, then the check valve in the pump is bad.

74psi is still too high. If it were to top out at 65psi, I'd say leave it, but 74...

Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Starting Member
ffox is on a distinguished road

Like swartlkk said, I wouldn't replace the pump just yet. It doesn't sound bad to me unless that's where your leak down is..It's putting out plenty or pressure.

If you do decide to replace it tho..only replace the pump and the few parts you got with it..The metal bracket is just to hold the pump. And most of the time they require you to replace the strainer as terms of the warranty, but it doesn't come with the pump.

I would replace the filter, unless you know it's been replaced recently..