1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

quits when shifted into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
krybrn is on a distinguished road
Default quits when shifted into gear

Hi, first off I want to preface everything by saying I am not the greatest mechanic, I'm in my learning curve...I have a 1985 S-10 Blazer 4x4 that my wife bought used before I met her. It's been sitting for about 2 years. It is the V-6 engine. I managed to get it started with fresh gas, Sea Foam, new battery. It supposedly had a rebuild @112K, it now has 135K on it. When I put in drive or reverse it dies. It is running rough when idling. I want to move from the back yard to my heated garage (it's cold outside) so I can finish doing stuff to such as changing plugs, fluids, etc. But I can't get it to stay running. When I start it, and as it is idling, it blows bluish grey exhaust. The oil looks good, no sign of water in it. Any thoughts or suggestion? Also in your opinion(s) what is the better manual for me to get for it, Haynes or Chilton's?
Thank you for any help.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Either of those will work if you want a simplistic reference. The factory service manuals pop up on eBay from time to time. There are a number of them available for your truck right now, ONE is sitting at $0.99 as I post this.

As far as your problem, it sounds like a carb issue. Does it change at all if you let it warm up fully? How does it sound when it stalls? Does the engine quit quickly or does it spit and sputter?

Blue smoke is most likely from burning oil in the cylinders. Could be from dried/cracked valve seals from sitting.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM

It dies quickly, no sputtering. I've heard the carb on this vehicle is about the worst one ever made, a Rochester E2SE (ES2E?). The vehicle is stock.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
gtchambers3 is on a distinguished road

This is what my major issue is now too. I lack complete power when its cold... I mean, complete.

I have to drop my son off at the babysitters in the morning before work, which is a 5-7 minute drive, and once I run in there drop him off and give them all of his stuff and get back to the car, by that time it finally begins to pickup on power.

Especially underpowered in the cold.

Were you ever able to figure out a solution? I am having a rough time and am becoming frustrated. It takes a long time to even be able to start the car in the morning.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Default quits running

I cleaned the carb with some spray on carb cleaner, which helped. It stills has problems running until it gets fully warmed up. Once it's warm, it runs great, but it takes a long time to warm up about 15-20 minutes. I did manage to get into the garage and change fluids. I am changing out the plugs/wires today, that should help some. It is a work in progress/ Going to replace valve seals next.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM
gtchambers3 is on a distinguished road

i have heard a major issue with the (E)2SE' carbs is the choke malfunctioning and that they are very reliant on vacuum pressure- so if the choke is stuck open this would make sense why it doesnt run fine till it heats up, because too much air-to-fuel ratio (esp since cold air is more dense, more oxygen)

im going to have a garage take a look at my carb, i also am getting some minor sluggishness to the truck when it is heated up... like it reves up then drops a tiny bit, and fluctuates in a wave instead of a straight line... when i have my foot steady on the pedal (if im accelerating of course)