1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Radiator and heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM
mrd0t is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator and heat issues

Okay, so I have a '94 blazer that obviously has a bad radiator. Lets start off with the fact that I don't really know **** about trucks so please don't flame. I have no friends that can/will help me nor do I have the money to pay a mechanic. I'm pretty sure my radiator is bad due to excessive leaking of radiator fluid. My big concern here is that could the radiator be a reason as to why my heater quit working? It was working fine two days ago but then my radiator started leaking bad. Even when I fill it up with engine coolant it's not working. I just replaced the thermostat two weeks ago by the way.

Also, another problem that just occurred yesterday; I started my truck up after filling it with coolant to see if the heater would start working again (obviously it didn't) and I noticed under the gas tank that there was a small leaking of gas. My brother replaced the full pump in this truck about 2 weeks ago. Could something have been done wrong to cause this?

All the help possible would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
Diablo Rojo is on a distinguished road

What sort of engine are we talking about here? Anyway, yes if you are leaking coolant it will affect the performance of your heater. When you leak coolant you are introducing more air into the cooling system and the water pump won't be able to push water into the engine as good. Soooo the hot water that your heater core needs won't be pushed into the heater core. No hot water, no hot air. But if you are pretty sure you have a coolant leak, get it fixed, seal your leak, replace your bad part, whatever. You really can't troubleshoot a leaking coolant system without plugging the leaks first.

As for the fuel leak under your tank, most likely your brother missed something during reassembly of your tank. Check that all of your fuel lines are hooked back up and are clamped. You should be able to take a peek at the top of the fuel tank through the back wheel well, better if the tire was removed, get a hand in there and start wiggling things and see if anything is loose on top of the tank. the flange that holds the pump in the tank could be loose too. Hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM
mrd0t is on a distinguished road

Ah, yes this did help some.

I figured out that one of the fuel lines to the tank was loose. Also after wiping up all of my leaking fluids I continued to watch for leaks while it was running for a bit. Figured out that its coming from the bottom part of my radiator, called in for a brand new radiator and I will have it tomorrow, only cost 119$ brand new which surprised me a bit. Hopefully by Sunday this vehicle will once again be running strong again. Pretty pumped.