1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Rag joint in 91 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Myzon26 is on a distinguished road
Default Rag joint in 91 blazer

Hi all, I can't seem to find any information about replacing a rag joint in a 91 blazer. I have search and mostly it seems to be the 97's and 98's. Does anyone know of a good diy for doing this? My blazer is a 4.3 4x4. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I just did the rag joint in my wife's 93 Jimmy. Here's a rough recollection of what I did:

1. Remove any obstructions blocking the steering column.

2. Remove bolt from upper end of steering column. It's hard to get to because of the brake booster, cruise control servo and master cylinder. I believe it's a 15mm nut.

3. Remove the plastic cover over the rag joint. You have to move the steering column up and away from the frame to have enough room to get the cover off. It's not split in the middle like the newer ones.

4. There's an 11mm pinch bolt on the collar that goes onto the steering gear. It's not 7/16" even though it looks like it. Remove the bolt.

5. With the pinch bolt out you should be able to remove the steering shaft completely from the steering gear and, by extension, the vehicle.

6. The rubber disc of the rag joint is sandwiched between two metal flanges. Cut the rivets that hold the whole assembly together.

7. Replace the worn out rubber disc with the new one from the replacement kit. Use red Loctite and bolts and nuts to put it all back together.

8. To quote Chilton's, "Installation is the reverse of removal."

Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM

First off, allow me to apologize, i never was good at following directions. The problem is, I can't seem to separate the shaft at the top. I removed the bolt(you are exactly right PITA) and i can move that piece back and forth about a quarter inch. That doesn't seem to be enough. And just so I'm clear, does the shaft come off under that collar the bolt came out of or apart from inside the collar. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Thanks for clarifying! I think I can help you a little better now.

Once you remove the bolt from the collar it should slide off the steering column. The intermediate shaft, the part that you're working on, is two pieces. The top piece bolts onto the steering shaft with the bolt that you just took out. It slips inside the lower end of the shaft which is the part that bolts onto the steering gear box. Don't be afraid to really pull or pry on that upper part of the intermediate shaft. It will come off with enough effort. To get the one off my wife's truck I had to put a pry bar on the collar at the top and pry to get it loose.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM

That worked! Alright one more question and I'm done. I have the shaft out. I was planning on just replacing the rag joint. I have however, seen threads about replacing it with a shaft from a jeep cherokee thereby eliminating the rag joint. Is this a direct bolt in(I've seen both yes and no), and the years 88-94 should work right? Alright that was two questions. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I replaced my shaft with one from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am very happy with the results as I eliminated the tulip and rag joints. No slop or vibration in the steering. See the link below for my write up and pics.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...g-shaft-48693/

Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM

thanks for all the info. after searching a few junk yards here i decided just to replace the rag joint. the new one is on there. the steering is much better except now to go straight the wheel mus be a half a turn to the left?
it looks like the steering shaft will only go on the gear one way. What the heck am I doing wrong???

Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 PM

If the steering wheel is less then a half turn than the only way to center the steering wheel is with a front end alignment where the tie rod ends can be adjusted to center the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is about a half turn out you can disconnect the shaft at the firewall end and rotate the steering wheel to the correct locationn and slip the steering shaft back on. You are right that the rag joint will only slip on the steering box at a single position.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Hmmm. I hope i'm not doing that much damage to the truck then because all i did was loosened the collar at the steering gear and rotated the wheel until it centered. It seems to drive ok with sharp turns and all. should I take it to a shop anyway and have them do the alignment?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM

I did not know that the collar would loosen. That would work as well. I thought that the shaft was a double "D" so there were only two positions for the rag joint. I think you did the simplist method.

Quick Reply: Rag joint in 91 blazer