1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Reaplcing Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Reaplcing Ball Joints

holy moley ive never seen a ball joint that bad before. damn!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mandi

How do you know if they are STARTING to go bad? I know what the end result is with them being so beat up. My question is...Should they be replaced every year? Every 6 years? Or are they something you change out even if they ARENT bad?
Change em when they go bad, they will make noise when its on its way out but like i said before with our vehicles they make noise for a long time before they snap. I dont know what makes em go bad, mines only 14 years old and my previous car was 27 years old and still had all the original suspension still in place. All I know is they make noise for a while before they go.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes there was another jack stand, I would NEVER let anyone work under a vehicle with no jack stand.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:37 PM

How do you know if they are STARTING to go bad? I know what the end result is with them being so beat up. My question is...Should they be replaced every year? Every 6 years? Or are they something you change out even if they ARENT bad?
They make noise, they just wont snap on you immediately.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:47 PM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

So they wouldnt go bad in two years? I just want to not worry about my wheel going into the fender. Seeing the ones that came off makes me wonder how durrable they really are. Its kinda bizzar to me that one part holds the wheel where it needs to be and that part just falls apart. WOW!!

Old 09-08-2006, 02:26 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

So they wouldnt go bad in two years? I just want to not worry about my wheel going into the fender. Seeing the ones that came off makes me wonder how durrable they really are. Its kinda bizzar to me that one part holds the wheel where it needs to be and that part just falls apart. WOW!!
Only if you don't get them lubed at least every oil change. Generally the factory ball joints don't come with fittings to grease them but at the first oil change someone should have had fittings put in....factory thinks these parts can go without grease but that is only the bean counters trying to get you in their Service Centers to replace them.

A lot of it depends on who they get there OEM parts from and their standards of quality. As the old computer saying goes "Garbage in - Garbage out", well at least they don't have the same problem that Chrysler had with their Ram Pickups and Durango SUV's those had upper ball joints that would fail without warning. They had to recall a bunch of trucks...

Old 09-08-2006, 09:38 AM

Speaking two different styles here, Im a 1st gen and they are able to be greased but seem to go thru the grease too fast, I had mine greased a week ago and there are no tears in the boots and its empty again.

I am converting to Moog sealed ones this weekend. For a few extra bucks its the best choice you got.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:47 AM

Are there ones out there that you dont have to grease? I had a guy check mine on his lift last night and they are loose so times a comming to change them again.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 AM

Are there ones out there that you dont have to grease? I had a guy check mine on his lift last night and they are loose so times a comming to change them again.

Yes....MooG makes them.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:50 PM

Thank you everyone with info and not lauphing at me

Quick Reply: Reaplcing Ball Joints