1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:00 AM
FImports is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear main seal

sorry guys and gals,but how can you tell if your rear main seal is leaking.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: rear main seal

It would help if we had alittle information on your truck... I have asked you before and I'll ask again, please put your vehicle information in your signature and attach it to all of your posts. I think I can answer without knowing fully what you have, but please put that information where we all can see it.

If you have a removable torque converter dust cover, then remove it and look up between the block and the flex plate. If you have the 2 piece transmission case, then you have to remove the two plugs in the bottom of the bellhousing area (rubber plugs that are stuck up in there pretty good) and look up between the block and the flex plate. If the flex plate is covered with oil, then you have a rear main seal leak. If it isn't, then it is possible that the oil pan gasket isn't sealing properly. Check your oil pan bolts for proper torque.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 AM

cant get the torque converter dust cover off.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any more information pertaining to that??? What have you tried? You remove the bolts and you pull it down... If you have the bars that run from the side of the engine block to the transmission, you may have to remove one or both of them as well.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 AM

the torque cover has to be removed to get to the starter right

Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
states is an unknown quantity at this point

Idea...go out and grab a Haynes repair manual for your make and model. I did and It has been a huge help for me as far as troubleshooting goes. Good luck

Old 12-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

No, the dust shield does not need to be removed to get the starter out, but it does help.