1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

red light below the headlight switches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default red light below the headlight switches?

This is just a random question that I have always wondered what the hell it was for. But there is a little red light bulb on the small panel below the headlight switch on my Jimmy, I have no idea what its for, and i have never once seen it lit up.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

It is for an aftermarket alarm system, that someone at one point or another had put on

Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 4X4GS10B
It is for an aftermarket alarm system, that someone at one point or another had put on
That is what someone else said. But there is nothing on the truck that suggests otherwise. It has factory keyless entry. But being under the dash multiple times, there is nothing under there that is out of place.

But maybe there was at some point a aftermarket alarm system that the previous owner installed, I think I will just have to pull off the headlight switch panel and trace the wire and see where it leads to, who knows, it might lead to nothing. It looks like it was a real good install with the light. But then again, how hard is it to drill a hole in the middle of something to install a red LED.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

there was probably one there at some point and someone else or the PO removed it. they do go bad from time to time. i had one in my old 89 pick up. i would hit a bump and it would lock the doors. kinda creepy.
if you are wondering about drilling a hole, you just need a good sharp drill bit, and a little pressure and some patience. go too fast, the plastic splits or cracks. once you get the hole, you can finish it off with a file to keep from cracking the plastic.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Twip
there was probably one there at some point and someone else or the PO removed it. they do go bad from time to time. i had one in my old 89 pick up. i would hit a bump and it would lock the doors. kinda creepy.
if you are wondering about drilling a hole, you just need a good sharp drill bit, and a little pressure and some patience. go too fast, the plastic splits or cracks. once you get the hole, you can finish it off with a file to keep from cracking the plastic.
Oh I know, I was saying, it would not be hard at all to install it to make it look good. Afterall, its just drilling a hole.
This weekend, I am going to pull that off and trace the wires just to make sure. Its been bothering me LOL

Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
cristi is on a distinguished road

So did you figure out what the red light is for? Mine is on all of a sudden and there's nothing in the manual about it. I'd love to hear what you found out!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cristi
So did you figure out what the red light is for? Mine is on all of a sudden and there's nothing in the manual about it. I'd love to hear what you found out!
yours has it too? I really have no idea what it is for, I have not gotten around to tracing it to see where it goes, heck, when I removed the digital cluster to repair it, I dont even remember unhooking anything for it. I will have to give a look this weekend.

I have done some reading, and also found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/used-headlig...-/300904968544

Sounds like its for a aftermarket security system. I looked under the dash of mine, and saw no aftermarket security system, so the previous owner that had mine must have removed it. I will do some more digging and see what I come up with.

Last edited by richphotos; 06-03-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

those are just blinking LED's
hookup to a 12V source and they will flash forever without draining your battery
you should be able to see a little resistor in the red wire to make it flash
Also available in Blue
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-LED-LASE...item1c14d71a97

they are a pretty good deterent for just a couple bucks
After all little jerk off breaking into cars has no idea if its real or not

My car has one that is triggered by the alarm system
It is in a high vis area , back of the rear view mirror

Last edited by rexazz2; 06-03-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
, so the previous owner that had mine must have removed it. I will do some more digging and see what I come up with.
I bet if you pop off the fuse panel cover you will see the little wires that were hooked into the fuses
its easy to hook up since it is so close to power

Last edited by rexazz2; 06-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rexazz2
I bet if you pop off the fuse panel cover you will see the little wires that were hooked into the fuses
its easy to hook up since it is so close to power
you are the man, I will look at everything this weekend, and might hook it up too. just for the "scare factor"

But that brings me to, is it blinking when the truck is off too? this one just does not work at all, has not... also makes me curious of why the person with the light has theirs on constantly now

Quick Reply: red light below the headlight switches?