1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Scent of Gas in the Oil after Injector Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member
AEChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scent of Gas in the Oil after Injector Replacement

1993 Jimmy SLE 4x4 4.3 ltr

Ive got a Jimmy I just have the fuel injectors replaced on because I was getting gas in the oil. After the service, i told the guy to change the oil which he did. I drove the truck about 16 miles and parked it in the garage. Im still getting the gas smell in the oil.

Can this be caused by misfiring in the engine due to bad plugs?
The engine sounds great and I dont hear any knocks or any kind of audible vaccume leaks.

Does the engine need to burn off access fuel from before the injector work? I figured if there is still some residue in the engine from the old oil, it might be causing the smell. Its not as powerful as it was before the work on the injectors. I took the truck on an 80 mile drive today, and I still get the smell, but again its not as strong as before.

I am curious too, when I checked the oil level when I got it from the mechanic, the level was just a tad above normal, now its within normal operating paramitters. I did not see any smoke from the tail pipe, no leaks on the garage floor and the engine has been humming like a kitten.

I did however briefly get a code 32 from the check engine light and it looks like its something to do with the EGR. Can anything with the EGR cause gas to get into the oil?

Im really concerned it might be something to do with the piston rings. I truely hope not. Since the service on the injectors the truck is AWSOME. However, if its something simple like new plugs, Ill be immensely relieved.

Any help would be so very much appreciated!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Go back to the mechanic and ask him to test the leakdown rate... Your oil level would be going up not down if there was a fuel leak.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Just change the oil again but use a good motor flush product first. Kind of hard to get all of the gas out of the crank case/engine on just one oil change.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply Ohso, I was thinking the same thing about the oil levels. The plan is to deffinately flush the engine oil and see if that takes care of it. We were planning to change the plugs soon too, just in case.

Thanks AJ too. I suspected as much, gas being something that just absorbs into everything. I didnt think one oil change would solve the smell.

Im crossing my fingers and hoping this will take care of it

Old 01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

A motor flush is just a waste of money... What you think the gas is doing in there? Cleaning... Just change the oil out again.

I use a litre of diesel to flush mine out, just pour in crankcase, drive around, change oil... Works great.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Beginning Member
pyro_dude is on a distinguished road

It sounds like it has an excess amount of cylinder blowby. It might need rings. And that requires alot of work.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohsofly
A motor flush is just a waste of money... What you think the gas is doing in there? Cleaning... Just change the oil out again.

I use a litre of diesel to flush mine out, just pour in crankcase, drive around, change oil... Works great.
just don't drive around for too long.

remember, anything you put in the crankcase to clean it out, will also be cleaning out the whole engine-and your bearing surfaces!

a short drive @ operating temp will be enough. just add the diesel fuel (or what ever you wish to use) to the engine after it has warmed up.

keep us posted with your results.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Seafoam works great and you do nothave to drive the truck at all, that seems like a bad idea to me.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Beginning Member

We had the oil changed and they ran detergents through the whole thing. Cost about $65. The oil is now clean, and it no longer smells! We have driven it about 100+ miles now without any trouble! I think we fixed the problem

Old 01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

good to hear.

and glad you updated us on the outcome.