1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Seriously What Now

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
livlifes2short is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: MISSING??

the spider thing they talk about I am asumming is my black mainfold? also on the egr isnt there a way to clean that with seafoam?? thanks

Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Your black manifold is the upper plenum, the spider is the internal lines and injectors (the black plastic lines in this picture) the white lines is what is known as the nut kit. In my opinion it's best to remove the EGR to clean it just to make sure you get all the chunks of carbon and don't forget the passageway into the upper plenum from the EGR while cleaning. I used brake parts cleaner and a wire brush to clean my EGR been 2 years and no other issues with it.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM

lol search read oops ok i looked at your write up and now i know what the "spider" is. back to the egr clean it with what and the hole seafoam thing any thoughts tips thanks again

Old 01-25-2009, 10:27 PM

dang it lol u must of replied while i was doin the same !

Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 AM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, the EGR is very easy to deal with... I just did a thread on working on my LandLords Olds Bravada with the same motor. Only thing to remember when doing it is this: A swivel head 10mm socket comes in VERY HANDY. And after cleaning the EGR up really good, wrap some thread tape around the bolt head you put back in on the right side! This will prevent the bolt from falling out a billion times and you learning new cuss words. Also, I will put the left side in first, line up the gasket, and tighten it, keeping the gasket in place. That helps too. Unplug anything that may be in your way. If pulling it out from the belt area, it only comes out one way, so take your time, and be patient. Whole thing costs less than $30 to do.
Also, putting all those new parts, and servicing the truck will not hurt it before you fix the problem. They arent internals, so no worries.

Clean that EGR with Intake cleaner spray! And use sand paper and a razor to clean the back side of the EGR valve, and the motor mounting surface. Wipe clean with a clean rag afterwards. Also, when the EGR is off, pull anything in the way of drive belts, out of the way. Crank the truck up with the EGR off. Rev it up a few good times to blow out any excess that may be built up. That helps as well. I just did all this to my landlords truck, and my own, less than two weeks ago. Fixed them both.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM

Ok so I bought a fuel pressure gauge when I hooked it up turn the key foward it goes up to 50 ish then was weird looked like it went up say 2psi or so but held strong did not drop. The egr valve looks brand new but i will change the stuff any ways. But so this takes the spider and nutt kit out of the equation what elso do i have to look for? Thanks In Advance

Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point

I think your pressure readings are typical. I say this without ever having tested mine, but I say this because when you turn the key, it's pumping like hell to prime for a start. then drops in anticipation for the motor to run. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Even if the EGR looks brand new (as is the case with my landlords) it is worth the effort to clean it! You can get the screened gasket at NAPA for about $21. I would focus on the EGR valve first. See if cleaning it solves the problem first, as not to overload you with suspect problems that may or may not be an issue. Good luck with it.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 AM

is it really worth the screen we are talking about a 20 dollar difference whats the advantage will it help or does it matter? thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

$21 is a bit steep I paid $7 at advance. The advantage is the screen keeps the carbon chunks from getting up into the EGR and clogging it again.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:03 AM

Ok I re did the fuel test just to make sure. Key on 1 time goes to 60 down to 40 and back up to 60 and holds steady. Good or bad?? I bought the gasket with the screen and some sea foam I am gonna try and do that on my lunch break so let me know on the fuel pressure thing thanks !@!

Quick Reply: Seriously What Now