1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Smells rich.Idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default Smells rich.Idea's?

So for a LONG time now my 91 has always smelled pretty bad when running. Almost like a rich smell. It runs great! No smoke etc out the tailpipe, just a bad smell that ive ignored since i got it. plugs are clean,no carbon at all. I seafoam it etc and make sure its clean.

Heres what i have replaced in the last 6 months :
plugs ac delco's,then switched to ngk v powers. No change in smell. runs good.
wires,im using autozones brand,or advance auto's. I dont remember
Cap & rotor with brass terminals.
Bosch O2 sensor. (never been fond of bosch,the o2 sensors alright?)
Timing is 4* advanced. Tried it at 0* for a week and no change in smell. so back to 4*
Fuel pump & filter (ac delco)
Temp sensor
180 stat

Ive cleaned the :
throttle body,egr,and iac several times.

One thing ive noticed is the cat was gutted when i got it. Do they make any change in the smell of exhaust at all? The tbi unit has never been rebuilt. Im going to do that sometime soon. Like i said the thing drives great. Idles smooth,never bogs down etc. Its just always smelled funny.

My next idea is the Ignition control module?

Last edited by chris015; 07-21-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
So for a LONG time now my 91 has always smelled pretty bad when running. Almost like a rich smell. It runs great! No smoke etc out the tailpipe, just a bad smell that ive ignored since i got it. plugs are clean,no carbon at all. I seafoam it etc and make sure its clean.

Heres what i have replaced in the last 6 months :
plugs ac delco's,then switched to ngk v powers. No change in smell. runs good.
wires,im using autozones brand,or advance auto's. I dont remember
Cap & rotor with brass terminals.
Bosch O2 sensor. (never been fond of bosch,the o2 sensors alright?)
Timing is 4* advanced. Tried it at 0* for a week and no change in smell. so back to 4*
Fuel pump & filter (ac delco)
Temp sensor
180 stat

Ive cleaned the :
throttle body,egr,and iac several times.

One thing ive noticed is the cat was gutted when i got it. Do they make any change in the smell of exhaust at all? The tbi unit has never been rebuilt. Im going to do that sometime soon. Like i said the thing drives great. Idles smooth,never bogs down etc. Its just always smelled funny.

My next idea is the Ignition control module?
hey chris are you leaking fluids on the y pipe?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How is your fuel mileage?

How do the plugs look?

With out a functioning catalytic converter to burn up the combustion byproducts, it will smell different than a vehicle with a properly functioning cat. Do you know anyone with a vehicle that isn't running catalytic converters that you could use to compare the smell?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
hey chris are you leaking fluids on the y pipe?
Did,the pos oil adapter housing was leaking. but i fixed that a long time ago. its not coming from vapors of leaky oil
Originally Posted by swartlkk
How is your fuel mileage?

How do the plugs look?

With out a functioning catalytic converter to burn up the combustion byproducts, it will smell different than a vehicle with a properly functioning cat. Do you know anyone with a vehicle that isn't running catalytic converters that you could use to compare the smell?
My dad has his 91 cpi blazer with a cat. His does not smell this way.
Plugs look great. No fouling at all.
Im getting roughly 17 mpg city and 19 highway running 3.42 gears,30" tires.

Last edited by chris015; 07-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:49 AM
ely0569 is on a distinguished road

Pull the plenum off and make sure you don't have a leak of the spider injector or the lines going to the injector. Mine was smelling the same way, and that was the issue. **Just a thought**

Old 07-23-2011, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran

I have the tbi injection. Cpi didnt start until 92. (i think so,ive never seen a 91 cpi)

Old 07-23-2011, 01:38 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

could be cause that cat was removed . When i cut my cat off when it went up on fire since it was clogged the truck smelled terrible for a few weeks till i put a new cat and exhaust in

Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran

Yes im starting to think its my catty. Problem is i cant buy one at a junk yard since they just scrap them for easy money. Time to find a aftermarket dirt cheap cat. I dont think it matters if its for a blazer or not as long as the pipe size is the same and its not tiny.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM
BF Guru

i think you can find 60 buck ones on ebay

Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran

Looked at advance auto. I can get a magnaflow for 50 bucks after coupon codes and pick up in store. SCORE!

I wonder how this is going to affect the exhaust tone and performance. truck drives like a raped ape..Oh well,im sick of the smell.

Quick Reply: Smells rich.Idea's?