1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

so much gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Beginning Member
Christobal is on a distinguished road
Default so much gas

Hi guys

I'm a little bit surprised.
I think my 92 4.3 blazer is a little bit thirsty
It has new air filter, new spark wire, new fuel filter, original size tires, around 200000kms (i'm from france) and he needs 17 literz to makes 100kms (that's how we count here )
I ride the smoothest I can ride...
Any idea?
thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

That's 13.8 mpg, which is pretty dang low.

When you replaced the spark plug wires, did you look at the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor?

Also, which motor do you have - TBI (round air cleaner centered on the top of the motor) or CPI (rectangular air cleaner placed on the front driver's side)?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Beginning Member

I've replaced also the cap and rotor.. I've the tbi motor mate.
thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
That's 13.8 mpg, which is pretty dang low.

When you replaced the spark plug wires, did you look at the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor?

Also, which motor do you have - TBI (round air cleaner centered on the top of the motor) or CPI (rectangular air cleaner placed on the front driver's side)?

Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you checked the spray pattern from your injectors? You need a nice cone-shaped spray. If you don't have that, you need to run good injector cleaner through a tank of fuel.

Did you replace the spark plugs when you did the wires/cap/rotor? Did you test the coil and the ignition control module? Have you checked the distributor for slop?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks... But how to check the spray patern??
Anyway I will try to put a injector cleaner... if it doesn't do something nice, it will not do something wrong (!)

Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
jmedina863 is on a distinguished road

If you have a strong scent of gas comming from the exhaust. Look up the firing order on the plugs. There are two diff ones. I had that problem on my blazer until i fixed the firing order.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
Zachlee08 is on a distinguished road

I have a 96 blazer v6 4.3L and i was getting and i was also averaging about 13.8 mpg... it sucked. I changed from regular unleaded to supreme unleaded and it jumped me to at least 16 just by changing the fuel. but thats if they offer supreme in France and if you wanna pay the extra penny for it. Also what christobal said. try fuel injector cleaner!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys...
I will put some injectors cleaner, check the ignition coils... and we have not supreme gas in France... We have unleaded 95 or unleaded 98...

... and I use unleaded 95 gas

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-27-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member
Cool

Hi guys, and happy new year...

Here I am again with my chevy who like much much much

It is my helping vehicle... my daily is an old 92 toyota pickup. This one need some repair so I use the chevy from the 3 last week....
He still need so much gas... between 17 to 19 liters to ride 100kilometers.
To be honest I like it and if it doesnt drink so much I will thinking to uprgrade it some day... but....
It is almost unsoldable (?) here in france I'm the only one who want to ride this truck
So do have new ideas about this? I remind you that I live in small mountains so...
Do you think a manual gearbox can save me money?
About the catalytic exhaust... is it possible that this one is full of dirt? (don't the exact words to explain)??
thanks a lot for your help.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

thats another thing to check, the catalytic converter like you mentioned might be clogged. if you have a shop around you that can check it for you i would have them do that, most should check it for free. at least around here they do.

Quick Reply: so much gas