1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Stalls While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
dgh91 is on a distinguished road

i have 187xxx ive told it was the spider injection by many people the fuel pressure is at 61 key on and idle its about 56 57 and when i give it gas it goes like its sapose to do the fuel pump is a week old just did it i thought it was the cat so i cut the pipe before the cat that didnt fix it i just dont want buy the spider and it not be the fix

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM
mjbowman is on a distinguished road

OK, since my blazer cuts out randomly, I've been driving my blazer around in different conditions to try and get it to repeat the problem. Maybe putting our heads together we could narrow the possibilities. This is what I think I have found...
1. Happens more frequent in damp conditions.
2. Happens more when the A/C is on.
3. Seems to depend on throttle position.
Example: If it cutts out going down the road, lets say 55, I can let off on the throttle and in a few seconds it will come back to life.

I don't know if any of this makes sense to anyone else, it doesn't to me. I will continue to look for a common thread between it all. In the mean while if this sparks a thought from someone else, please feel free to share...I need all the help I can get.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I'm having the same problem with my '01 Blazer. Anyone figure this out?

Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member
2doorblazer is on a distinguished road

ok im haveing the same prob to. mine just did it saturday after driveing it a long time an i had the air on. but it started right back up after i stoped. it ran for about 10 more mins then did it again??????? its a 98 2door with over 130 thousand. but it dose run good an strong. just my little in put to this matter.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I fixed my Blazer. The stalling was due to a bad ignition coil....the only thing left in the ignition system that was not brand new.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
2doorblazer is on a distinguished road

ok i still have this prob with my truck stalling. i have cleaned the THROTTLE body an egr valve an the maf it was dirty. it helped with pick up an a little bit. but it is still stalling whin i have the air on. i an lost any help would b so nice thanks

Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point

My god this is a serious problem. My other thread about cooling issues turns out to be this instead. This stalling and shutting off problem ALWAYS happens after ive been through heavy traffic with the air on. It'll stall when im doing 80mph. I have to pull over and sit for 10min. Sometimes I make it home sometimes i get 100ft and have to sit again.

I do get a burning smell that comes through the vents after i stall. this thread has given me a few good ideas to check. this problem is driving me to the edge!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
mthibbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you guys checked the Distributor?
I found that my blazer would not start when it was moist and damp out side. Then one day my wife drove the blazer and it cut off. It totally stalled out when she drove a half a mile from the house. We had the blazer towed back to the house. I tried starting it again in front of the house. It would try to start but not turn over. I was suspecting the distributor all along. My blazer has been acting weird ever since I replaced the cap and rotor from Auto Zone. I found that using bosh cap and rotor plus wire and plugs does not make your truck run as smooth. OK, what I found was my distributor cap was getting moisture in it. I saw that the pins in the cap had condensation on them. I went to the dealer to get the original cap and rotor made by AC Delco. I replaced the cap and rotor but this time I put a little bit gasket sealant around the cap just to make it air tight. I connected all my wires and then turned the key to see if my truck would start and it did. It has been running for weeks with no cut offs. It has rain and was very moist and wet out side. So far no issue it still starts fine. However I get the sense that my distributor may be on the way out. Because the tuck is not putting out power when I for it. It seems to be very sluggish, rough idling and poor fuel economy. My engine misses under load while accelerating. The next step is to replace module on the distributor. I believe the distributor module may be going bad.
I’ll let you all know what happens.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member
Chevy Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having a similar problem with my 95 S-10 Blazer, but not as often as you guys. It's only happened to me about 4-5 times in the past 5 months. As I'm driving, the engine cuts out like someone turned it off. I loose power to everything and the "battery" and "check gauges" icons light up. I stop the truck, turn the key to the "Off" position and then it starts right up on the first try. After that, its fine for the rest of the day, then occurs again randomly in a few weeks.

It wasn't really a huge problem before, because it only occured right after I pulled out of my driveway. It recently happened after driving it for a little while, and I had a really hard time stopping the truck because I was going down a very steep hill and there was a corner coming up.

I've read it could be a number of things. When this problem happened to you guys, did it start out as an "every now and then" kind of thing, like mine. Any help would be appreciated.

*And, just as a note, I've noticed that mine has only happened to me while driving down a hill. And my tank was at least 1/2 full.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 AM
psewell@gvtc.com is on a distinguished road

I had a very similar problem with my 89 4.3. I thought I had a fuel problem but it turned out to be the pick-up coil in the base of the distributor.If the ECM doesn't see a spark pulse it shuts off the fuel pump.

Last edited by psewell@gvtc.com; 12-09-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Stalls While Driving