1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Still have no idea what's wrong with my truck. Grrr.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Drifter666
that could be something in the head, you will know what a knock is, sounds like someone is hitting the motor with a hammer lol try putting a can of restore in the oil idk if it will help but its worth a try
It wont. Its a gimmick

Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Starting Member
Eff10 is on a distinguished road

After reading more threads trying to find an answer I've found a lot of interesting information. I was thinking that maybe one of my spark plugs is loose but I can't check that until tomorrow. I changed them recently and maybe I didn't tighten one of them enough. Also, I've decided on the possibility of a stuck lifter. How do you guys feel about mystery oil to possibly un-stick it? I've already said this but the noise is not loud and definitely on the passenger side of the engine. Hopefully it is something simple and not the nightmare that I'm dreading.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

skip the Restore, go with the Lucas oilstabalizer. will shut up even the noisiest lifter.

in fact all of their products are great-and won't void a new car warrenty. i know your truck isn't new, but if it's even covered under a new car warrenty, that's gotta mean something.

i've been using their product for years. their manual trans/diff fluid shut up a super noisy 5 spd that was in my '92 Jimmy. it was so bad you really had to really turn up the system i had in it.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Starting Member

Update: I had a loose spark plug after all. It was really loose. That and found out I have an exhaust leak between the intermediate pipe and the muffler. It also makes a sort of tick noise. So I think I'm all good for now. Yay. As for the hesitating and surging, I'll look into some of those other ideas you guys mentioned. If anyone has any others feel free to throw them at me. In the meantime the truck runs well and I got 19mpg on my last tank so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks guys.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Eff10
In the meantime the truck runs well and I got 19mpg on my last tank so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks guys.
you can go away now.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Starting Member

Haha I said on my last tank. I usually get 17 or 18.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Off topic but my Z71 with a 350 gets better MPG than my 92 Jimmy with a 4.3.....I always thought that was strange

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Starting Member

That is strange...Hmmm

Old 12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

I got 19mpg on my last tank so I'm not too worried about it. Thanks guys.
you can go away now.

Haha I said on my last tank. I usually get 17 or 18.
you can still go far away! my heap is averaging around 14mpg.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Does your truck have A/C? When you go from off to vent you have to momentarily engage the A/C compressor. You migth see if that's anything to do with the surge and stalling. As for the tick, I had one on the passenger side and took a piece of hose (poor boy's stethescope) and just moved the end around until I found it. It was the PCV valve clicking. Just be careful if you do this with the engine running. This is also a great way to find exhaust leaks.

Quick Reply: Still have no idea what's wrong with my truck. Grrr.