1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Brandon31386 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Studdering, Kills, Tranny Slips???

well i just got back from my shop and heres what i concluded...

spark and compression is fine. Fuel delivery there is a problem. I came to this because i put tb and carb cleaner in the tb and it wanted to start.I tested the relay, and its bad. Its makingno connection between the orange and the gray.I jumpered the orange wire(constant power) to the gray(fuel pump) and still got nothing. So therefore i believe the fuel pump and relay is bad. If you dont agree, please say so. Im open to all opinions.

As for the tranny, idk what it could be yet. Once its running properly, then i will focus on that.

But i am still open to everyone's opinions!!

Thanks for all the help so far! I appreciate it all!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Truck is fixed!!! Fuel Pump and Relay were junk. I replaced the Pump, relay, and filter, and she started right up! But what is weird, is that the tranny is not acting up anymore. Its shifting perfectly fine. BUT, there is a slight leak. Any common spots that the non-turbo tranny leaks at???

Old 12-25-2007, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

There are several places it could leak from, some are easier to fix then others.
The hardest is the input seal behind the torque converter, if this one is leaking you need to fix it immediealty. Taht $5 part could cost you $1500 if you let it go.

You need to crawl under the trcuk and try tio find the leak as best as possible.

Rear seal is easy, it leaks past teh slip yoke.
No rear seal on a 4x4, the t-case has a input seal, and if its leaking your t-case fills with fluid.

There is a gasket around the tranny dipstick tube, you wont be albe to see if its leaking, you have to run your fingers around it to see if its leaking. If so, wipe it dry, drive it, and chek again to make sure.

As I mentioned before the front seal, take teh torque converter cover off and see if there is fluid inside.

The tv cabel or electrical connector is another place to leak ont eh passengers side.

There is the vent hose on top of the tranny, howver that typicall wont leak unless you tranny is too full, or you cooked the fluid and it boiled out.

On the drivers side oyu have the governor, and the shift linkage.

Then again it could be the tranny pan gasket.

You need to crawl under and find out.
I highly recommend you get it fixed ASAP.
Post up where you think it is and we can walk you through the repair. Most are pretty easy.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM

Hey thanks! Hopefully this weekend i can get it to my shop and put it up on my lift and figure it out. Ill post once i find it. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

your welcome.

must be nice to have a lift in your shop. Wish I had a lift. gets old laying ont eh ground, thank god for old carpet and cardboard though.

I like your quote, its fromt eh Red Green Show. great show, unfortunately we dont get it all the time. Keep your stick on the ice!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

your welcome.

must be nice to have a lift in your shop. Wish I had a lift. gets old laying on the ground, thank god for old carpet and cardboard though.

I like your quote, its from the Red Green Show. great show, unfortunately we dont get it all the time. Keep your stick on the ice!

haha! youre a good man! It took me a while to get a place with a lift. For the longest time i used to lay on the ground...without the cardboard and whatnot. too bad its like 25mins from my apartment! lol.