1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Throttle body removal ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
JerryB52 is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle body removal ?

Okay, to get at the EGR valve I have to remove the throttle body.
How hard is this to do and are there any tutorials or picture to help me out?

I am a novice at auto mechanics. An electrician by trade.
I can probably figure it out but if there's any thing I need to know, please help me out...

Thank you.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

What vehicle are we talking about?
On my '93 W code, I didn't have to remove the throttle body. I did need at least a 9" extension for the driver's side bolt and a 10mm ratcheting wrench for the passenger side bolt, however.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Beginning Member
rob180 is on a distinguished road

Depends on what year? I took the whole intake plenum off my 94 to get at it. I read your post and thought what the hell. Went back out and with a 3/4 swivle and a long extension with a 10mm socket. took both bolts out and pulled it out through the front over the thermostat housing. re-install was the same.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The info on what you own listed in a sig line helps, if what you are working n is different from what you own listing it also goes a long way.

Guessing you are not talking about anything TBI cause I've never had to remove the TB on them no matter the engine size.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Red face

I tried every-which-way to get the EGR out from under the TB but I think I'll just have to remove the TB.
I'll clean it too while I have it out.
I was just wondering how hard it is to get out the TB and are there any things I need to look out for.

Want to do this tomorrow (Sat. 3/26). Not working...

Thanks for the help...

Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The CPI engine does not have a removable throttle body. You have to remove the entire upper plenum from the engine if you need more room to remove the EGR valve.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The CPI engine does not have a removable throttle body. You have to remove the entire upper plenum from the engine if you need more room to remove the EGR valve.
That's what I thought when I was out there the other day looking at it, scratching my head and trying to figure out how to get the EGR out of this very confined space !!!
Obviously, I need an alternative method to get this EGR out to clean it???

Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Got EGR out, cleaned the best I could and put back in. Ran good at first, took it to Wal-Mart (about 10 miles) and before I even got there it was running rough again, hesitating, wanting to stall and SES light came on.
It was a struggle, but got it home...
Next order of business is to check the EGR with electrical tester.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

What codes came up?

Old 03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep questions on the forum. Asking in private message does no one else any good if they find themselves in the same or similar situation and search for this thread.

Also, you stated that it ran good then got worse. Cleaning it likely worked, but if you didn't clean the passage that supplies exhaust gases to the EGR valve, the valve itself is likely clogged again.

Also, install the screened gasket which will prevent large chunks of carbon from getting to the valve.

Quick Reply: Throttle body removal ?