1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

timing help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Beginning Member
mirandaneon is on a distinguished road
Default timing help

ok i guess my last one was too hard....

1 can i use a timing light to time my 94 blazer or no?
2 at tdc im inbetween my timing marks yes its on compression stroke is this normal?
3 is there a link on how to set timing on 94 blazer cause i cant find it?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member
Default ok

well i can get it to run but not right, i set it at tdc (compresson stroke) and then set dizzy to 1 and it wont start,

if i turn it a lil it will start so the dizzy has to be on 6 (and the engine set to tdc)and that puts my timing tab in between the timing marks.

then i plug in the wire in the pass side floor board, and then it seems to move the timing mark to were the first one is just after the timing tab.

i also checked and the CS pulley hasn't slipped or sheared off the key. and i changed the head gaskets, that's what got me here. its really funny, cause before, i had done the timing no prob.I just set it to the second timing mark, set dizzy to one cranked it and it fired right up i dont even remember setting it to the compression stroke honestly. but right now the compression stroke at tdc DOES NOT LINE UP TO A TIMING MARK, it sets me in between the 2 and it runs fine but it cranks wierd and sounds hard.

WERE DO I GO FROM HERE?

Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Did you rotate the engine with the distributer removed? The oil pump shaft may not be in the correct position to line the distributer to the number one plug on the compression stroke. I would remove the plugs so there is no compression on the engine, hand crank the engine until you are positive that you are at TDC on the compression stroke. You can use a long dowel or screwdriver in the plug hole to ride the top of the piston until you are at TDC. Then you can check the timing marks at the CS pulley and make sure that the rotor is pointing at the number one plug. If the rotor is not pointing at the number one plug in the cap but the timing marks all line up you will have to rotate the oil pump shaft until you can get the distributer installed so that the rotor is pointing at the number one plug, with the number on piston at TDC on the compression stroke and the timing marks should be at 0 degrees. You can get the oil pump shaft tool from Autozone as a loan a tool. The other possibility is that the timing has jumped.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member

well i did all that but i really dont think its the timing chain cause all this was working fine till i replaced the head gaskets. how do i check timing chain without ripping it all apart? or can I ?

also the tdc is whats getting me.I can turn the oil pump with screw driver to place dizzy howevr i want. but

at tdc(on compression stroke) the allignment tab sits inbetween the 2 timing marks why not?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

If you have the piston at TDC the timing marks at the CS pulley should align with the 0 degree mark. Use a dowel to move with the piston through the spark plug hole, while you rotate the crank shaft pulley until you are positive that the pistion is at the top of its travel and check the timing marks.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

i believei was aiming to get the wrong timing mark into the tab, there are 2 1 sits at3oclock and the 2nd one sits at 120clock, hence why when i was using the second line it kept firing on the number 6 cylinder...after plugging the wire in, the timing mark is now pleasently hoping round the timing tab... so i think i got it it has a slight quiver everyonce in in awhile, but it prolly just needs to be driven. thanks for ur help dude,