1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Tranny Problem...I Think

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:37 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Problem...I Think

Damn my blazer just wont give up... So im on the higway and im going 65-70(the electrical problem stopped for a little bit, and its done this before when I didnt have the electrical problem) and when I put it to the floor my RPMs just rev right up to 5k but it doesnt shift. I dont hold it there for a long time for fear of breaking somthing. But it wont shift, justs revs really fricken high... is my tranny going or could it be somthing else?

Old 06-24-2006, 01:46 AM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny Problem...I Think

what gear wont it shift into?

Old 06-24-2006, 01:54 AM

im not acually sure, probably downshifting into 3rd. because cruising at 65 I believe its in 4th then you boot stomp it and it downshifts...correct me if im wrong, because again, im not sure at all, i dont know that much about transmissions. Any help would be great.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM

Anyone? Would a rebuily help?

Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 88s10Blazer

Damn my blazer just wont give up... So im on the higway and im going 65-70(the electrical problem stopped for a little bit, and its done this before when I didnt have the electrical problem) and when I put it to the floor my RPMs just rev right up to 5k but it doesnt shift. I dont hold it there for a long time for fear of breaking somthing. But it wont shift, justs revs really fricken high... is my tranny going or could it be somthing else?
You might just need to get the tv cable adjusted.
Have you checked the tranny fluid level? Do you know how to check it? Is it full?
What color si the tranny fluid? Does it have an odor to it?

Yes, when you stomp on it it should drop from 4th gear to 3rd gear. It will also kick out of torque converter lock up. Since you don't mention any other tranny problems, late shifts, engine bogs down, or anything else I am going to assume the tranny works fine under normal conditions. This leaves one of three posibilities, incorrectly adjust tv cable, low tranny fluid, or your clutch packs are slipping.

Post up the answers to my questions and we can go from there.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 PM
hdlogistics is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my tv cable jam before. Be carefull not to drive too far before you have it checked. Last thing you need is to blow your tranny...

Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM

Checked Tranny Level- Yes, recent flush (about 3 weeks)
Do I know how to check it- Yup
Is it full- Yup
Color- Red
Odor- Smells like tranny fluid fresh from the bottle (3 weeks old)

Thanks for the help so far... But what the hell is a tv cable?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

heres some info on the TV cable. http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

basically, it hooks to your throttle body/carb/intake and helps the transmission determine when to shift when you put your foot to the floor, amongst other things. if its not adjusted properly it can cause transmission damage.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:53 PM

Your probably right cause one of my friends said it was loose and they were trying to tighten it up but they couldn't. Mine doesn't look like the one in the picture though. Any ideas on how to tighten?

Old 06-30-2006, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 88s10Blazer

Your probably right cause one of my friends said it was loose and they were trying to tighten it up but they couldn't. Mine doesn't look like the one in the picture though. Any ideas on how to tighten?

I fthink you just found your problem. Your friends said it was loose.

That link posted above is a pretty detailed link. Nice find!

Yours looks just like it. There all the same. You might not be looking at the right part.

On my truck the tv cable is attached to the torttle linkage on the passengers side of the intake. Same as yours. Find the cable that runs to the gas peddle. Have a friend push the gas peddle to the floor (engine off of coarse). See the linakge move. Now look below hte cable that goes to the gas peddle. That should be the tv cable. Follow it back towards teh firewall. It should be attached to a black thing attached to a bracket, keep following it. It should go down past your tranny dipstick tube and stop at the transmission. It will have a hard plastic fitting and one bolt going through it into the tranny. Got it, good. Now go back to that website posted above and follow the directions on how to adjust your tv cable.

If you are the least bit confused. Post up.

It is really simple and only takes a couple fo seconds to make the adjustment.
In a nut shell. You push the little tab and pull the cable back to the firewall.
With the engine off, have a friend step on teh gas peddle until it goes to the floor. The cable should pull back through and you will hear the plastic adjuster make clicking noises. That's it. Test drive it.

You may need a screwdriver to push that tab. It is stubborn, but once it is in slide the cable back.

Quick Reply: Tranny Problem...I Think